• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring enclosure for under the hood

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I am thinking about building a small enclosure to put on the fender well so I can clean up the EFI wiring under the hood. I have so many wires ran to the start solenoid it looks like a hornets net.

Before I attempt to build something I was wondering it someone had already found somethign hat works pretty well. I like the clean look Nicks Trixs uses on his Broncos. Very nice. I doubt I can make mine look that good but it would have to look better.

All I really need is a terminal block and enough room to mount a few relays.

Open for ideas... Not a lot of room with the coolant bottle.

Greg

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Somebody on here used a Pelican case a few years back. It looked like a pretty good idea.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Anyone got pics of this? I looked at some of the Pelican boxes but just cant see how it might turn out.

Greg

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I'd like to see this as well. Between the EFI, stereo, taurus fan, and projector headlights mine is looking like spagetti. I've got relays and ballasts all over the place.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I found this picture in another thread.

Wish that was a little larger photo... :D

I would have to move my overflow tank... it is shot anyway but not sure what I would do for that. I thought about one of those late model combo deals but it would have to go on drivers side and my radiator line is on the other side.

Greg

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Wish that was a little larger photo... :D

I would have to move my overflow tank... it is shot anyway but not sure what I would do for that. I thought about one of those late model combo deals but it would have to go on drivers side and my radiator line is on the other side.

Greg

Do a search for Pelican and you'll find a couple threads with different electric cases. I just run an overflow line from my radiator spout down the side of the radiator. I've yet to see a drop come out of it.

Pelican

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey Greg, I bought a lil' 66' that had this idea on it!!!%):eek:%) Had some neat cup holder/storage boxes for the rear seat too!!!%):eek:%) (oh yeah, the carb was in the rear seat, that didn't work too well)!!!;D;D;D

Attachments

• DSCN1607.JPG
    DSCN1607.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 228
  • FSCN1593.JPG
    FSCN1593.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 185
OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I saw that before Ben... I am sure that would work but I may go for something a little more rugged or durable.

I may just fab something up from some aluminum sheet I have and ditch the overflow tank, or at least do something differnet for an overflow. Thinking about welding some fittings in a C02 paintball tank.

Greg

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
HaHA, you know me Greg, just trying to get you to thinking harder!!!;D;D

While you're fabing those alum boxes, just make 2 alike and use one for overflow and the other for wiring????%)%)%)

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Here is the mess I am trying to clean up... along with some ralays you cant see in the photo.

Greg

Attachments

• wire mess.jpg
    wire mess.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 198

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Greg, here are a couple of pics of mine. various stages of completion. I doing a smilar but less complex box for a customer.

Attachments

• electirc box under const.jpg
    electirc box under const.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 182
  • completed engine comp.jpg
    completed engine comp.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 192
  • completed box.jpg
    completed box.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 190

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
You can use an Explorer under hood fuse panel, and customize it for your relay setup. They have a few configurations, but also have three relay bays above the many fuses that are in it. You can use the micro relays, or fit it with up to 6 full relays like I did. I'm currently set up for the 4 EFI relays, and two headlight relays. See build thread:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198491

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I built a box from aluminum... I am trying to gather up a few things before I start rewiring...

I picked up a terminal block strip, a ground strip, battery isolation switch and a few relays.

I was getting ready to purchase new battery cables and new cables to go between the starter solenoid, Mega fuse and the isolator switch. All the cables at the Oriellys I was at looked cheap so I decided to look for better options.

Is there a better quality cable I should be looking for? Who makes those with the boots over the battery terminals? I was thinking about looking in a marine catalog. Is 4 ga sufficient?

When I did the EFI install in 2000 I simply ran a lot of wires to the starter solenoid and used fusable links for protection on them. I know thats probably not the best way to do it but it ran a long time so I want to correct that now. Looking for ideas on the best way to distribute power to all these connections... around 8 I think. My first thought was one of those blue sea fuse panels... any better ideas?

Lastly... there are a lot of connections that are all pretty much going to the positive post but is there a more efficient way to wire this to make it safer or add protection? As you can tell... wiring is not one of my stronger points.

Some nice photos of a clean setup similar to mine would be great. Or an awesome wiring diagram showing preferred routing of the wires and cable.

I am mainly talking about the wiring between battery, isolator switch, mega fuse, starter solenoid and altenator.

Greg

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Pelican cases are great but they are expensive. Another great option are the locking seal Plano boxes. I use them a lot for my fishing gear and tackle. You can get them from hardware stores, sporting goods stores, and fishing supply shop.

A modified ammo can could work too. These are usually cheap at surplus shops.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I ran a pair of fuse boxes out of Taurus'. The one on the firewall is all "keyed" ign sources for power. The one behind the battery on the inner fender is "hot" power or straight off the batt. They have nice big lugs for the incoming power source and you can fuse them with anything from 5-60 amp fuses. Really nice, clean setups.

Attachments

• Keyed box.jpg
    Keyed box.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Keyed box2.jpg
    Keyed box2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 119
  • Hot box.jpg
    Hot box.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Hot box2.jpg
    Hot box2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 111

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Nice job... what year Taurus?

Greg

Late '80s early '90s Taurus/ Sable. Same years the 3G alternators are in. They're mounted right under the hood on the driver's side firewall, real easy to get to. I just cut all the wires as long as I could and took the whole mounting bracket and everything. Even came full of fuses! Paid around $8 each for'em at pick & pull.;D

I too had wires galore coming off the stock starter solenoid and it looked like crap. I deleted a bunch of it (regulator, startor solenoid & a bunch of wires) when I installed the high torque mini starter & explorer serp w/ 4G alt and put these in to "clean up" the wiring and give me ample fused sources for both 12V ignition and battery power that was easy to get to for accessories and "add-ons".

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Sorry for the hijack and the novice question but I've been wanting to do the same thing so that I can upgrade headlights and run multiple accessories.

On the explorer and Taurus blocks how do you determine what wires feed which fuses and relays?

Thanks. Apologies again for the hijack!