• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring enclosure for under the hood

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
I ran a pair of fuse boxes out of Taurus'. The one on the firewall is all "keyed" ign sources for power. The one behind the battery on the inner fender is "hot" power or straight off the batt. They have nice big lugs for the incoming power source and you can fuse them with anything from 5-60 amp fuses. Really nice, clean setups.

nice swap! ill be checking into this this weekend at the pull yard

any of them come with relays?

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
any of them come with relays?

These particular ones I'm running don't have relays, just fuses. You can look in some of the late model pickups/ explorers/ cars and they'll have the larger boxes with relays and fuses. My carb setup wasn't that complex and I already had the headlight upgrade kit w/ relays so I really didn't need any. Even now w/ my near future EFI swap I've got an RJM so still don't need any. I just wanted real clean "junction" boxes, if you will, to cleanup where the bottlenecks were. Just a bonus that these also had fuses and mounting brackets plus they're small and easy to mount just about anywhere. You can actually take these all the way down and run new wires into them. Too much work for me and my limiting wiring skills so I just left the wires long coming out of the box and splice into them. All the splices are hidden inside the bottom cover so it's clean as a whistle from the outside.;D

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I have one of those under the dash behind the ash tray... you can pull the ash tray out and get to the terminals.

BTW... I went to the junkyard at lunch today... I found several that look like somethign I could use. When I asked them what they wanted I almost passed out... I was told 100 - 150 for a large box with relays and 50 - 75 for a small box with fuses only.

I smiled and left.... ;D;D So much for my local junk yard... I will not return.

Greg

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Sorry for the hijack and the novice question but I've been wanting to do the same thing so that I can upgrade headlights and run multiple accessories.

On the explorer and Taurus blocks how do you determine what wires feed which fuses and relays?

Thanks. Apologies again for the hijack!

You can use a meter and test for continuity, or chase each wire if you carefully take them apart.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Here is the mess I am trying to clean up... along with some ralays you cant see in the photo.

Greg

I finished the "rewiring" project today.. good grief that took a lot longer thnan I thought... I just finished and I started at 9am...

Pretty pleased how it turned out... at least it is much better than before and more servicable should something fail...

Greg

Attachments

• before wire 1.jpg
    before wire 1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 82
  • wire enclosure1.jpg
    wire enclosure1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 85
  • wire enclosure 2.jpg
    wire enclosure 2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 89

JSmall

Bronco Guru
That looks great! Where did you source the box from? I took back the marine fuse box I bought and pulled a box out of an older Windstar that has the fuses and relays built in. I'm making a bracket to get it to sit flush on the fender. It would be cool to enclose it like you did.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I made the enclosure myself. I had some pieces of aluminum sheet laying around. So I simply fabbed up a box with a hinged lid.

Greg

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I made the enclosure myself. I had some pieces of aluminum sheet laying around. So I simply fabbed up a box with a hinged lid.

Greg

Greg, looks great how does the inside look? ;D

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
That's top secret. However it is amazingly neat and tidy. May be one if the cleanest wiring jobs in history.

I didn't just hide the old wiring mess in a box.... Did I ???

Greg