• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring Harness for Exterior lights?

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
I am starting to go over everything in my '67 bronco to see what works and what doesn't. I have found some problems with my lights and blinkers and the wring looks pretty rough under tha dash. So I was wondering if anyone makes a replacement wiring harness for just the exterior lights and blinkers? I figure this might be easier than trying to figure out what the heck the previous owner did. Another question, when I turn on my parking lights they work just fine, but when I turn the headlights on, the front parking lights turn off and the headlights come on. I am assuming that is not suppose to happen, right?

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
No, your parking lights should stay on with your headlights. I've encountered some weird wiring problems in the past but sorry to say I can't help you with that one cause it hasn't happened to me yet. It seems that your parking lights are working fine so I would suspect the headlamp switch.

With regard to wiring harnesses, I'm not aware of any harness just for lights and blinkers. I'd recommend getting a painless or centec harness and going through the whole truck. I've got a similar problem with the rat's nest under my dash and purchased a centec harness, though I still have to get around to doing the actual replacement. I did install an EFI wiring harness, re-wired to use a 3G alternator, and upgraded my headlight harness to use relays. Based on the work I've done so far I have to say it is nice having wiring that is reliable, modern and works well. Now I just have to do the rest of the truck.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Try Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. A few years back they had some new partial harnesses that have since been discontinued. May still have some in stock?
I purchased the engine harness only and was pleased with the components.

OP
OP
R

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
Are the complete wiring harnesses broken up into sections, were I can install the lighting harness first and then install the the other harnesses sometime down the road? Or do you have to install all the wiring at once for everything to work properly?

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Lights, starter solenoid, signals, battery, alt, etc all were wrapped up together in the factory harness and then dropped out alogn the way... Not to say you couldn't run the new stuff along side, but once you start splicing into the old and undersized factory stuff, IMO just bite the bullet and go with a new harness, lots of threads on here about them.

Now that mines in, wiring ain't that bad. But don't quote me on that, however you will become intimately familiar with your electrical system, which is a good thing!

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
Another question, when I turn on my parking lights they work just fine, but when I turn the headlights on, the front parking lights turn off and the headlights come on. I am assuming that is not suppose to happen, right?

this is normal for early models. I remember reading about it as a safety change. My 67 was that way until I went with a different switch.

mattt

Bronco Guru
The front parking lights on my 69 operate that way too. My stock wiring is not altered. I asked this question a while back when I noticed the same thing. Headlights on...no front parking lights.

OP
OP
R

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
If I replace the head light switch with a new will that make the parking lights come on with the headlights?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'69 Bronco (and the '67 mustang I once had) both turned off the front park lamps with the headlights. Probably a tradition from the days when they ran generators that didn't charge very well.

By '71 the laws changed and the parking lights now stay on with the headlights. (don't know how the '70 is wired).
If you want the parking lights to stay on with the headlights, there is one wire on the headlight switch that must be moved or spliced (either does the same thing). What you do is tie the front park lights into the rear running lights. Hardest part is getting to the headlight switch and figuring which wires are for what.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
When I bought my '69, the parking lights/headlights worked as you would expect. The park lights stayed on with the headlights. Now, however, they operate like you describe. They'll come on when in parking light position, but when I go to headlights, the parking lights turn off. If I jiggle the headlights switch, the interior lights will flicker on and off, and sometimes the parking lights will too. I would suspect the headlight switch.