• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wiring harness?generic or centch

irwin

Loc.
redding
I have to buy a new wiring harness in the next couple days.I want to know if anybody is using the 4wheelinjunky harness yet.I have seen it come up on the threads a couple times but have never heard a definite yes it is good if this is so so harness. i am going to go to wild horses and buy a centech kit the budget will not allow for the 630 dollar painless wiring kit.I have no extreme wiring skills so ease of install is major concern.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Maybe you should look at my thread. I used the $70 4wheelinjunky harness. I would suggest getting the $170 version or however much it is. That includes enough wiring to replace most of the wires. He didn't offer it at the time I bought mine. If you have some electrical skills then it might save you some money, but definitely not any time. The Centech is nice to have everything done for you. I'm not sure how different it is from the Painless wiring harness, but it looks like the Painless is pretty much open the box, roll out the wires and plug it in. The 4wheelinjunky kit requires some electrical know how. I am learning and I'm sure if I ever did a wiring harness again it would be a snap. It is just learning how the automobile electrical circuits work that takes some time.

Scott

meckanik

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
I emailed 4wheelinjunky about his harness and he recommended the Centech or the Painless (I have Brian's EFI harness and Ray's starting/charging system). There were some things I liked about the Painless, but the Centech is all loomed up and with a few exceptions mostly terminated. I have the Centech in my hands now and it is a very nice harness; quality wire and nicely laid out.

In case I wasn't clear, I'd vote Centech. ;D

-Jeff

birdman

Loc.
Napa
I'm doing a Centech right now with absolutely no experience. It has been going well though I am taking my time and e-mailing questions to Centech when I get stuck. They are very good at getting back within the day. I've even e-mailed them at 10 pm pacific time and I have received a response at 12:30 in the morning.
Like you I couldn't put up the extra $s for Painless but, I can't see it getting any easier than this.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I went with the Centech and was very happy with the quality of the product, ease of installation and cleanliness of the installed kit.

Centech.

JN

birdman

Loc.
Napa
I went ahead and bought the adapter after I looked at the one they sent. I just didn't feel like modifying the dash and I wanted to use the original besel. It was just easier to get the $20 or so adapter.

meckanik

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
American Pride said:
for those that installed the centech, did you use the ignition that was included w/ the harness?

The supplied ignition switch looks a little out of place if the rest of your dash is stock; I went with the adapter.

-Jeff

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For those of you who installed the Cenech......

Did you have trouble getting the firewall rubber grommets to work? I have installed several Centech harnesses and these grommets never pop into the factory firewall hole.....they just won't stay put.

:cool:

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
centech here and I also bought the adapter. Got it cheap when it was on sale last year. 385 for the whole thing.

birdman

Loc.
Napa
LSUpete said:
For those of you who installed the Cenech......

Did you have trouble getting the firewall rubber grommets to work? I have installed several Centech harnesses and these grommets never pop into the factory firewall hole.....they just won't stay put.

:cool:

You have to make sure the holes are the right size, mine were too small. I posed the question last week as to how to make these bigger and got all kinds of great advice. Here's the link.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94831