• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring Question - Wipers Older to Old

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
I am converting my 69 washer only button to a wiper / washer knob from a newer bronco (70's). See the picture.

A couple questions, correct me if I am wrong. The black wire off the instrument was hooked to what I think was the master ground. The orange /white wire looked to be hooked to a master instrument power (large gauge green / black) that went to the fuse box. The green wire went to the engine compartment harness, so I am guessing it is power for the washer motor.

Am I correct?

Could I just use the existing power from the old washer button connected to the orange / white above and just hook up the rest from the new wiring?

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1000608.JPG
    P1000608.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm not familiar with the black wire you speak of. I can't see it in your pic. The orange-white wire needs to go to the stud terminal on the ignition switch. It draws too much current to go through the fusebox. The white-black wire only powers the washer so it can go to the fusebox.

Attachments

• wipers.jpg
    wipers.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
tk1218

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
Better pictures

Here's some better pictures. I hope I have the right part. The orange and white wire hooked into a bunch of wires that went to the fuse box and the black wire went to a bunch of wires I assumed were ground. The green wire when to the engine compartment harness.

The other wires go to the ws harness with 1 connector having a white and a black wire and the other having a red and a blue wire.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• P1000610.JPG
    P1000610.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P1000611.JPG
    P1000611.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 14

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's some better pictures. I hope I have the right part. The orange and white wire hooked into a bunch of wires that went to the fuse box and the black wire went to a bunch of wires I assumed were ground. The green wire when to the engine compartment harness.

The other wires go to the ws harness with 1 connector having a white and a black wire and the other having a red and a blue wire.

Thanks again for your help.

The black wire should be white/black according to my diagrams. Test it with an ohmmeter. It should be open between black and green-black until you press the washer button. Then it should show a short. If this test comes out good the black wire is the power connection for the washer function.

Attachments

• c-301.jpg
    c-301.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
tk1218

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
So the black wire needs to go to a seperate power for the washer. The grounds are on the ws frame and after the lights on the ds.

Sorry I am new to wiring.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So the black wire needs to go to a seperate power for the washer. The grounds are on the ws frame and after the lights on the ds.

Yep. Make sure you test the switch first though.

Attachments

• wipers02.gif
    wipers02.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 7