• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wiring under the dash question? 71 EB

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I installed my 87 delay wiper set up today. I tested it and it works great. I have not tried the washer pump yet because I don't have one but I did swap the black wire with a white stripe over to the empty slot.

After testing it I had left the key on, well I forgot to shut it off. While trying to work the switch up under the dash and in place I heard a sparking sound so I pulled the switch back down and then saw a little it of smoke. The ground wire felt hot.

I found a silver thing that looks like it was for a bulb or something that has two wires going to it. One wire is red with an orange stripe and the second wire is purple. I moved this thing out of the way and no more smoke or sparking noise when I installed the wiper switch. The wipers still work great after I installed them.

My question is did I hear sparking because the switch needs to be grounded or is this silver thing hot causing my problems? I circled what I think is the silver piece I am refering to in this picture.
71ebwiring1.jpg

I did not get a chance to check to see if the silver thing is hot or not. It sarted pouring rain and I did not feel like working inside a half cab with the doors closed. I've searched for schematics but I can not find what I'm looking for and some of them the print is to small to read.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
silver thing looks like a brake warning light. it is not hot. the sender on the brakes completes the circuit.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yep, brake warning bulb socket. With no bulb in it the hot wire terminal was able to ground out.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I pulled the spring and retainer piece from the EB I have in the garage and now the Eb I drive has the brake warning light mounted in the dash like it should be. I didn't like the idea of a hot wire floating around behind the dash. Even if it wasn't hot I wanted it put back the way it should be.

Now to work on the washer pump.