• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wondering if I've screwed up/going in the wrong direction.

broncbuster

This is going to be lengthy, Sorry in advance.

I have a 76. I'm doing a bunch of mods to the drive train/suspension/steering at the same time. I have been running 4.5" lift with stock 76 tie rod set up (properly adjusted toe in for the lift) and 7 deg bushings, stock radius arms, stock radius arm mounts, stock trac bar mount, stock pitman arm. It steered fine like this and tracked straight at all speeds even at freeway speeds. I was not really happy with the 76 tie rod setup, although it worked I know it's not really right. I wanted to go to a 1 ton tie rod/drag link installed TRO. I did not want to use wheel spacers. I was doing gears/lockers so I opted to go with a 74 front axle I had laying around and plan to do a chevy disc conversion so that I can run the 1 ton tie rod/drag link TRO with out wheel spacers. I'm planning on running Duff radius arms. I am also installing a 4x4x2 steering box at the same time.

So here's where I'm thinking I may have screwed up. I recently read that 74 axle housings (specifically 74's) did not have enough caster built into the axle housing and that 76-77 had a lot built in. I'm wondering if it steered so well and ran so straight because of the caster built in to the 76 housing. Reading up on and mocking up the Wild Horses Trac bar riser bracket it appears that the 75-down and 76-77 housings are different on the Trac bar mount. I already had the gears/locker installed in the 74 housing. The 74 housing isn't installed in the Bronco yet. I'm wondering if I'm going to have caster problems with the 74 housing. I want it to steer and track well (as it did before). I don't want to increase the caster a bunch with the Duff arms and 4-7 deg C bushings and in the process build in front drive shaft problems. I guess I can have the axle housing cut/re-welded to get better caster w/o pinion angle problems, but I really hadn't planned on going to all that hassle when I moved away from the 76 axle housing. Maybe I should have stayed with the 76 housing.

Anyone have any experience with this situation?

If I need to modify the 74 housing where can I get that done?

Thanks

Will

Bronc937

I've got a '77 so same front end as a 76. I went to the one ton tie rod setup and the factory steel wheel (actually most wheels in 15") did not have enough offset to clear the rod ends. My solution was to switch to '78-79 bronco/F150 knuckles or 17" wheels. I'm going with the 17's. I wouldn't switch housings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The '76-77 axle will have better caster built in as most were factory power steering trucks(more caster). I personally think the Ch**y 1 ton setup is a shit fix a best. I did a ton of research and found it lacking. The F150(heavier duty) setup is available for about the same price and is just as heavy duty and not a one off custom built setup that can't be replicated at any parts store on a weekend.

That being said your 74 housing can get the same caster with the proper offset bushings, it will just take more bushing than your 77 axle would have and the pinion angle will be a little more severe..

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep the 76 housing, and do the T-style linkage conversion that drops right in with NO modification.

17s clear the knuckles easily.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Keep the 76 housing, and do the T-style linkage conversion that drops right in with NO modification.

17s clear the knuckles easily.

X2 This ^^^^^

My 74 needed 7 degree bushings wit a 2.5 SL to drive correctly. Any more life and I'm turning the "C" on the 44 to get the caster it would need.

Tim