• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wondering steering video

jonmelton

Hey guys, sorting out some issues with my steering. I've got some fun wandering issues. If you don't think Bronco's are fun to drive, throw in some wondering!

So I recorded some video of my Bronco sitting all four wheels on the ground and just turned the steering wheel back and forth. Right off the bat I see some issues, but let me know what you guys think.

https://youtu.be/7iG5JVlNGAI

A couple things to note:
•Chevy Disc Brakes up front
•New Wild Horse Tie Rod and Drag link
•33 x 12 BF Goodrich
•7º C Bushings

Last edited:

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Biggest thing I see is your track bar is shifting side to side the bushings probably need replacing other than that the video is jumping around a lot for me on my phone so I'm not seeing much else

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

Track bar bushings are toast!
Jack

I replaced the trac bar bushing when I did the C-Bushing. I wonder if I didn't tighten them down to spec. Also, on the lower side of the trac bar, I remember the bolt being loose when I was installing it, but I remember it tightening down as I tightened the trac bar down. I should check both of those again.

Action

Both ends

Yea, Something is going on with both ends of the track bar.
Jack

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Looks like the lower track bar bolt is moving quite a bit too.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Strange question I know but did you put in the metal sleeve and is it the right one. I say right one because when I did front end work for a living there were countless time that the sleeves inside diameter was bigger than it should be not sure why but that would cause your problem no matter how tight you tourqe it.

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

Strange question I know but did you put in the metal sleeve and is it the right one. I say right one because when I did front end work for a living there were countless time that the sleeves inside diameter was bigger than it should be not sure why but that would cause your problem no matter how tight you tourqe it.

Yeah, I could have received the wrong sleeve. I remember when I put the trac bar bushings in, the metal sleeves only fit one side or the other. Here's the video (it doesn't prove anything, just a shameless plug)

Trac Bar Bushings video

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like the lower bolt's tack weld has broken loose. You will need to get under there and re-weld it into place. It does look like it's been loose long enough to have either worn the bushing, worn the bolt, worn the mount, or all of the above.

A MIG gun seems to work well, but a stick welder would probably get the job done.
I used a MIG when mine did the same thing.

For the upper, which doesn't seem quite so bad, I would pull the bolt, check the bolt itself for rust deterioration, the hole for wallowing out from being loose, and the bushing & sleeve for condition.
Replace the bushing if it needs it, or just because they're inexpensive and you have it apart anyway. Up to you.

Also, your tie-rod angle needs adjusting. Notice the rotation that the rod and ends go through each time you change direction? That's partly due to the nature of the beast of course, but mostly due to the improper angle on the centerlink.

Loosen all three adjusting sleeves, and rotate the center tie-rod "up" so that the grease fitting on the lower draglink end is pointing up at roughly a 45° angle, or generally up at the front bumper. This is the proper angle, and will reduce the rotating linkage a lot. With luck they're not too loose now, but even if they are it'll help.

And yes, the links look like they're plated or made of stainless, but as you can see, that pretty metal is just that. So paint it or clear it if you don't want to see rust. Or leave it if that's not an issue. It's certainly not a performance issue except at the threaded sleeves, so it's up to you. Just thought I'd mention it because that stuff is so cool looking when new that people tend to leave it bare metal.

Good luck.

Paul

Action

spot on

I think Paul is pretty much spot on. Something is worn at the upper and the bottom bolt looks like it needs to be welded. Good luck with the repairs. Should make it drive much better.
Jack

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Paul is spot on. Lower track bar bolt weld broken and some looseness in the upper. I also have welded mine several times. For the upper you need to see if the mount holes are egged out. If they are you can get some fix-it weld washers from Ruff stuff. You enlarge the holes until the washers fit then you weld them in. The area that the bolt rides is now much larger so they shouldn't get egged again. I just did this on my '74 after living with the looseness for years.

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

Awesome! Thanks Paul, and everyone else. I've welded on my floor pans, but only enough to get in trouble ;D

Thanks for the info, time to get back under there. I guess I have my idea for my next video.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you "assume the position" (Bronco position that is) and turn your head upside-down under the lower trackbar mount, you'll see that it's open on the bottom with the hex head of the bolt exposed near enough to the opening that getting to it with the welder is not as bad as it might seem at first.

And since it's just a tack weld (a pretty big one though) anyway, appearances aren't as important as performance.

have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

Paul, if you are ever in Nashville, let me know. I need to shake your hand.

Thanks for the info!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds good! Look forward to it.
Haven't been there in a few years, since my aunt and uncle in Waverly passed on. Still looking forward to going back to visit old friends someday though, so I'll be sure to give a shout-out if I'm able.

Paul