• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Won't Idle

DixieBronco

Loc.
Kenner, LA
Its been probably close to a year since I've driven my Bronco. With the nice weather we've had lately I decided to take out the garage this weekend. At first it was real tough to get it running. Finally got it running, but now it will barely idle. It will run fine as long as I don't let it come back to an idle. I changed the fuel filter and put some fresh gas in it. It runs a little better, but still undriveable since it will stall out at idle. Should I take the carb apart and clean out? I'm guessing this is the problem. Also how hard is it to take an Edelbrock carb apart and reassemble.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Gas has probably gone bad in the carb and clogged up the idle circuit. Edelbrock is easy to work on, just pull the metering rods out and pull the whole top off, about five screws. You can download the manual from Edelbrock.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Before disassembling the carb, I would try removing the idle mixture screws, spraying carb cleaner in the holes and then blow them out with compressed air. Then reset your idle mixture.

12-Pack Jeff

Loc.
La Mirada, Ca
I wouldnt waste my time with just squirting carb cleaner "down the carb" that wont do much if anything.. pull the carb, disassemble completely, soak, high pressure spray through all orifices, and rebuild... do it once, do it right.. be done, enjoy.