• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wood removing the front drive shaft give better gas mileage?

MartyG

Bronco Guru
First off let me just say that inwardly, I feel posting this is like posting " I'm thinking about having my penis swapped out for a vagina"
I don't forsee myself doing much for wheeling in my area this summer so I was wondering if removing the front drive shaft would give me at least another 4-5 miles per gallon it doesn't seem like a big job removing it and I'm guessing putting it back with no be no big deal either.

Oh and just noticed the "wood" instead of "would"in the title.. I'm using speech to text on my phone and didn't catch it :)

Deano

Bronco Guru
If you have lockin lockout hubs it shouldnt matter. If the hubs are in free nothing should turn. And it would be the same no matter if the driveshaft is in or out on gas milage. Just my $.02

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA
Well it will do something, you're removing some weight:p....but it definitely wont be noticeable at all.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Just make sure your hubs are working and actually free-wheeling when set to Free, removing the shaft wont change a thing except when you need to have 4wd you won't.... EB's are not a fuel wise vehicle unfortunately unless you want to do a 4BT swap....

Ranchtruck

Remove the rear driveshaft too, and you'll save lots of money on gas.

The front driveline, so shaft, differential, and axles, are only spinning if your hubs are locked or the transfer case is in 4wd. With it in 2wd and the hubs unlocked, nothing spins, so there's no power lost. There is extra weight of all those parts, so if you were desperate you could do like jeep did on their 2wd cherokees and have a straight tube front axle and leave the knuckles empty. The amount of work for the fuel savings gained vs the utility of the truck lost wouldn't be worth it.

Drive slower and easier, and make sure the engine is in the best shape it can be. There's not a whole lot else you can do.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Remove the rear driveshaft too, and you'll save lots of money on gas.

X2 that might save you the mileage your looking for%).

Wanting a 4-5 mpg increase in fuel mileage is a huge jump there's little out there that will get that unless your engine is just way out of tune and you replaced it with a fuel injected engine. A lot of EFI swaps dont see any big mileage increases over a well tuned carbed engine.

You want to increase mileage just get a little car to do most of your driving. then you could feel right at home with your new vagina swap.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But at least if he divorces himself, he'll be sure to get the Bronco!

Sorry, had to jump into the joshing segment.

Like said though, trying to get 50% better fuel economy is a lot to ask of any modification. You'd have to take off a ton (literally!) of weight, and do some other things too.
Just out of curiosity Marty, what kind of mileage are you getting now? Have you checked it in the city and on the highway? And at different speeds?
What size tires and what gearing are you running? What transmission? Stock height suspension? What speed do you like to drive on the highway?
With a Bronco at least, slowing down does help. Up to a point. Most of the cars I've had got better fuel mileage between 60 and 65 mph. But most of the trucks I've had got better mileage between 50 and 58 mph.
Among other things, it's an aerodynamic thing...

Paul