• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Write ups on Swapping gears/carrier in D44?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Are there any basic write ups or how tos on swapping gears/carrier on a Dana 44? Its probably above my skill level but I'd like to atleast see what's involved before I take it somewhere.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'm in the middle of doing that right now. I'm going by the pirate article written by BillaVista. It's very thorough and dumbs it down pretty well. In the end, it's not that complicated (more so than a 9" though) it's just time consuming and tedious.

I'll be done with it this week in preparation to swap my axles and when it is done I'll probably have 5-6 hours just in setting up the gears not counting the rest. Just for kicks I called BaerTrax on Friday to ask how muck they'd charge me to do it. Keep in mind, mine is completely disassembled and all they'd have to do is set up the gears. He told me $250-300, no thanks.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Just for kicks I called BaerTrax on Friday to ask how muck they'd charge me to do it. Keep in mind, mine is completely disassembled and all they'd have to do is set up the gears. He told me $250-300, no thanks.

The well known 4x4 shop here in town quoted me $250 labor to set up Dana 44 gears if I brought them the bare housing and all the parts. Seems to be the going rate.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'm sure it is, just don't wanna spend that much. I have next week off, so I'll get it done.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Banjer,

I too will be doing a front/ rear re-gear in the next few weeks. I got a quote of $600 for ring/ pinion, Timken Master Rebuild kit and new carrier for Dana 44 (going from stock to 4.56s). I thought thats was kinda high. Have you gotten any quotes yet?

bigjhoov

nobody
Just for kicks I called BaerTrax on Friday to ask how muck they'd charge me to do it. Keep in mind, mine is completely disassembled and all they'd have to do is set up the gears. He told me $250-300, no thanks.

Yep, and we're cheaper than most in town. Setting up a 44 involves putting it all back together. It's not like a 9" where you can do it in the third member.

We aim to offer the best set-up, at a good price. Call our competition and see what they charge.;D

Last edited:

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I wasn't baggin on BaerTrax, just saying I didn't wanna spend that amount of money when I can do it myself. Josh is good people... And if I get frustrated enough I'll end up driving down there to have him do it.

bigjhoov

nobody
I didn't take it thatta way, just chiming in. It's a good skill to have in your repertoire if you plan on doing it more than once. It takes a little bit of an investment in tools to do it right.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I didn't take it thatta way, just chiming in. It's a good skill to have in your repertoire if you plan on doing it more than once. It takes a little bit of an investment in tools to do it right.

Like $110 for setup bearings? Lol

bigjhoov

nobody
A proper gear set-up is priceless if you consider the alternative. That's a 9" pinion, or was.

IMG_8916.JPG