• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

XE264HR/XE258HR Piston to valve clearance

fishinman78

Contributor
I have been reading threads on these two cams:

XE264HR and XE258HR. I have a 351w with stock pistons and I am planning on running one of these cams with Ford Racing X306 aluminum heads. I am not especially savvy on cams so I wanted to find out for those that have installed either cam did you run into any problems with piston to valve clearance?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Need more info...

-how far are the pistons sticking out of the block
-what thickness head gasket are you using
-what ratio rockers are you using (stock or ?)
-stock pistons ? what block '69 or '70 model?

Amac70

ME
i run the the 258 with stock flat top pistons stock bottom end 96 roller block and edelbrock rpm heads with 1:6 roller rockers I clayed the valves and had plenty of clearance with flat top pistons.

latrucker

Contributor
You can put clay on top the piston to check PTV clearance but neither one of those cams have enough lift or duration to be a problem. When a cam has valve overlap (choppy idle) is when PTV clearance becomes a problem. I ran the 258 with flattop pistons and .005" piston to deck clearance and had miles of clearance. I think you will be fine either way. Do your homework but that is my .02 cents.....