• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Xterra Steering Box Adjustment (too tight)

fishinman78

Contributor
I have an Delphi (Xterra) steering box on my 71 Bronco. I bought it as a rebuilt unit from a member here on the forum. Ever since the install the box feels tight (steering input required to turn the steering wheel)

I have factory power steering on my 76 and it is a lot smoother and easier to steer.

Anyone who has driven my Bronco always comments on how tight the steering feels.

I drove another Bronco recently that had a 76 box on it and the steering just feels so much better.

Are there are adjustments that can be made to reduce the tightness?

I am considering looking fora 76/77 box to rebuild and install

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is internal to the steering box and not adjustable. The tuning is with the torsion bar in the spool valve. It is the modern not overboosted steering feel.

The only place I have heard that can change that is handicap conversations places. For people who don't have the strength.

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
I think Bowsher just called you a weenie;)

I thought so!! Should I be offended?? ;D

Its not that its hard to steer. It just not a nice as my other '76.

My goal has been trying to get this 71 to drive better, not such a chore. The feel of the steering box makes it feel kind of jerky...steers to quickly.. I have just never been happy with it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
how long has the box been on there, and did you notice the difference right away?
Other things can cause a stiff feel in the steering. Axle u-joints, ball-joints, tie-rod ends, etc. Even bearings going bad inside the steering column.
Seems like the best way to test this theory is to disconnect everything and move them around one at a time by hand to see if any one or more of them are hard to move.

Not saying it can't be the box. Just saying there might be more to it than that.

Paul

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Has it always been to tight since install? X2 on the one at a time disconnect, or just take the pitman arm off and see how it feels. If it has been tight from day one of install, the steering gear box sector shaft "gear lash adjustment" could be way off?

68ford

Bronco Guru
It's an Xterra box thing. I have one from PSC with ram assist. It takes more input than my old 76-77 4 turn box as well. Not sure what to do about it.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The torsion bar can be changed, at least in the OE Bronco boxs, the torsion bar is a 190 if I remember correct, I have mine changed to a 210 which makes it feel more modern, I would guess the extra box would be close to the same but not sure.