• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yet Another Chevy Disc Conversion Question

bigjake

Loc.
Denver
After 3 days in the mud, I finally got the correct spindles off of a 1974 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. The only problem is that the dust covers on the (two piece) backing plates were missing. I opted to pass on those and pursue the one piece backing plates (or at least complete two piece plates)... Now I'm having a tough time finding them from the local yards. Will the later years (with the big bearings) work? I found a '78 that's got 'em ready to be removed.

Thanks,
Jake

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
With exception to the larger inner bearing everything else is the same for a swap. I occasionally hear about slightly larger diameter rotors which would have caliper mounts that bolt slightly farther out. These may only be used on the light duty 3/4 ton axles.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes the later model will work most people dont run the dust shields any ways as rocks and mud tend to get channeled to the brakes with them.

OP
OP
bigjake

bigjake

Loc.
Denver
Good to know. I guess I'll be going back first thing tomorrow morning to grab those backing plates!!!

Thanks!