• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

yet another drum brake issue

66broncnut

Loc.
St. Robert, Missouri
I recently purchased a 66 EB with drums all the way around I have replaced every part from the master cylinder back but still don't seem to have proper brake pressure. I gravity bled first than bled each wheel individually I have all the brakes adjusted (if anything a little to tight). Seems like there is to much travel in the pedal before any pressure is felt is there an adjustment in the pedal I am missing or what. I am considering adding some sort of spacer between the rod from the pedal and the master cylinder. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could be rod length issues, or some air still in the master cylinder. Did you "bench-bleed" the master?
Did you verify that the replacement wheel cylinders (and the master for that matter) had the same diameter pistons as the originals?
Sounds more like the rod length thing, but I mention the others too because we've run into that before too.

Paul

OP
OP
66broncnut

66broncnut

Loc.
St. Robert, Missouri
any idea on a source for a longer rod or can i use spacers?

I did verify the cylinder diameter but sadly had to turn the master in as a core. I did not bench bleed the master but after I started having my issues I disconnected the line coming out of the master and pumped fluid out of it with no air showing up there either. Not 100% sure on the bench bleed procedure.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's basically putting a line from the port right back into the reservoir of the master. Sort of bleeding it on itself. Pumping the cylinder pushes fluid through the ports and right back into the master.
It eliminates any air pockets and such, right at the pistons, without introducing any other potential issues from the rest of the system.
Pretty easy with the right fixtures, but kind of a pain (and messy!) if you don't have the right stuff laying around.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seems to me that there adjustable rods out there. Maybe one of the others will have come across this before?

Paul

Tuck

You can get the bleed kit at most parts stores for $5-10. Bleeding the MC is super easy to do. Just be careful & don't overtighten the adapters...they're plastic. Be careful of the hose clip too. It can pop off & let brake fluid get on your paint.