• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yo Viper - What does the green/red stripe control?

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Hey Viperwolf,

It seems every original harness I see has a "wavy" green/red wire on it. Usually not an issue with functionality, but wondering if you know what this one is controlling and how to prevent future "wavy". I don't think think it is the solenoid red/green start, but I might be mixing up my wire colors. But is never the solenoid one, but always this color combo under the dash. I can chase it down later, but I was just thinking of it at the computer now. I think it might be a headlight related wire. Time for a headlight relay? Talking aloud this afternoon I guess.

Thanks,

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
from ign sw,#904 green/red goes to voltage reg to operate it when sw is in the on/run pos.#16 green red goes to pos side of coil.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The green-red under the dash does a few things. It carries current from the ign sw to a splice. That splice sends current to the voltage regulator, brake warning light, carb idle solenoid, and some of the other emissions devices on the later years. Probably wavy because it got hot carrying all that current.

The red-green wire (#16) is the coil power wire.

Headlight wires are red-yel, red-blk and grn-blk.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Thanks guys. Probably another case of a stuck on brake warning light. %)
Viper, what's your opinion on replacing individual wires on something like this (just replacing a couple on a harness)? I'd stay away from the pink resister wire obviously, but the rest should be fair game as long as I stick to the same gauge. Yes? 14g on most, right?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks guys. Probably another case of a stuck on brake warning light. %)
Viper, what's your opinion on replacing individual wires on something like this (just replacing a couple on a harness)? I'd stay away from the pink resister wire obviously, but the rest should be fair game as long as I stick to the same gauge. Yes? 14g on most, right?

Sounds good. Solder and heat shrink the connections. I think most of the stock wires were smaller than 14g. It wouldn't hurt to go a little bigger.