• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

You ever have one of those days when your Bronco runs you over?

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
OK story telling time....25 years ago Cable TV truck with broken E brake.They gave me a piece of 4x4 on a rope to drop behind the tire and roll back on. Pulled up to the job, opened up the door to toss the 4x4 out and fell out. Truck started to roll back ,I jumped up,caught up with it just as it was leaving the road and headed towards a house.I got in ,pulled it into first gear and peeled out, lawn,gravel,then asphalt.
That's the day I quit......

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
oh i like where this thread is going...that youtube video of the twits was outstanding!

im gonna go out to the garage and throw my tires back on the axles and let it run me over...i know it will make me smarter ;)

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
I'll play. I do racer recovery at off road races and was working to clear a bad bottleneck of racers at a hillclimb they couldn't get up. Had pulled about 6 cars up the hill and was out of the bronco unhooking the rope from the last car I'd pulled up when all of a sudden there was a big tug on the rope from behind me. Turned to see the bronco rolling away from me toward a gully. Had left the rig in neutral and didn't set the brake because was on a nice flat spot at the top of the hill and was rushing to get back down to the next one. I even have a line lock brake I could have used!?!? D'ooooh!

Got nasty rope burns trying to stop the bronco, but no luck. It rolled down into the gully and while hoping it would stop at the bottom, it went up the other side and turned down hill as it did. The first roll was slow motion,but the second one was faster and all I could do is watch in agony.
Wife's chihuahua rode it out as luckily he was tied in on a short rope!

Crunched whole front end, pushed radiator into blade so couldn't even drive it out of there. Took a dozer and 4 tow straps to pull it up and outa there. Wasted windshield, bent the cage, but luckily doors were off it.

The bronco is headed to a fab shop in a week to redo cage and build a custom engine core support because all the inner fenders were wasted.

Do you think I'll put rigs in park and set the brake in the future?

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Funny story. A couple of weeks ago my service manager was driving not far from the dealership and a blanket he had in the bed of his demo flew out. It landed in the median at a crossover. He turned back around and cut through there figuring he'd just lean out and grab the blanket but fell out of the truck when he leaned out. He rolled, had the blanket in his hand, and took off for the truck as it rolled into traffic. Funniest thing was a couple of my fellow employees were about to pull across the same crossover and saw the whole thing.

Seattle66

Contributor
Glad everything turned out ok and that your neighbor is nice and reasonable.

You can add me to the list of people that needs to get an e-brake installed on my Bronco. The PO just cut the lines off so I have open holes on the inside drums in the rear and random chunks of brake cable still attached to various parts of the frame.

I have never had my Bronco run me over, but I always get a little worried climbing underneath it when it's up on my Dad's lift. I triple check the safety levers on the lift every time.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Wow, crazy stories. Glad it all worked out & nobody got hurt. I had a buddy in college that restored a Jeep CJ and had rebuilt a Chevy 350 and installed in the Jeep. He had rolled it over several times with the coil wire off to prime it after it was installed. Well, he and his buddy were getting ready to fire it up and they were trying to get it to top dead center by bumping the starter. They had the Jeep in 1st when they did it. His little 7 year old sister was hanging around in the driveway and just happened to be in front of the Jeep when they bumped it one too many times. The motor must have been set up and distributor stabbed pretty good because if fired up and started down the driveway. His sister was knocked down by the bumper and the front 33" tire caught her by the feet and ran her completely over from toes to her head. Both he and his dad were EMT's on the fire department. She ended up being life flighted to Children's Hospital. I saw her the next day at home with two black eyes and a tire mark on the side of her face, other than that she was fine. Truely a blessing that day.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Back when I was about 8 my dad was working on our rear engine Renault dalphine. He told me to get in ,be sure it was in neutral and turn it over.......Well it was in reverse and it hit him in the shins and he fell back over the 2' wall. Pissed to say the least.

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
Wow, the bronco is not your friend. I'd say the relationship is over and she's going for the insurance money. Time for bronco number 2!