• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF gear ratio

Highlander

Loc.
Chelan, WA
Doing research on the ZF transmission I found this about the gear ratios but with no explanation on how to tell the deference.

I have an idea that the close ratio is for the big block and the wide ratio is for the small block. Is there a way to tell if I was looking at a transmission or talking to someone at a wrecking yard, something to tell the two apart.

This is what I found on another site.

ZF S5-42 Close Ratio:
R: 3.79
1: 4.14
2: 2.37
3: 1.42
4: 1.00
5: 0.77

ZF S5-42 Wide Ratio:
R: 5.24
1: 5.72
2: 2.94
3: 1.61
4: 1.00
5: 0.76

Thanks Tim

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
All the ZF's I've seen and the one I have in my shed have a tag on the side with the first gear ratio stamped on it. But basically big block trannys are easy to tell because of the bigger bellhousing which is part of the tranny and cant be removed so you really cant even bolt one up to a small block engine anyway. I'm not real sure but usually the close ratio trannys are for diesel engines. I think big blocks still get the wide ratios like the smallblocks but I'm not positive about that as I usually only look at the small block stuff.

OP
OP
H

Highlander

Loc.
Chelan, WA
Hey another WA guy! Sorry for the hijack.
Join us over at www.northwestclassicbroncs.com for local events and such.

Back on topic, I love my ZF!

Thanks Bronco69er,

I have already joined your group I am Dirt Rider on that group.

Tim

Thanks Broncnaz, OK so it sounds like I don't have to worry about getting the close ratio unit, as I will be looking for one to go behind a 351w. I did find a 5 speed yesterday but it appears to be the Mazda unit in a F150.

Will the 2 wheel drive unit work with an adapter or do I need to stick with the 4x4 unit?

Thanks again Tim

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Close ratio is Diesel
Wide ratio is Gas

That is my understanding also. In theory you can swap a couple of gears and make the wide ratio that bolts up to the 302 (5.0) a close ratio. Compare the close ratio with the NV 3550. I think it would be a very nice gear set for a Bronco DD/trail rig with a 2.0:1 transfer case, 3.73 gears and 31 inch tires.

NV 3550: 1st 4.01 2nd 2.32 3rd 1.40 4th 1.00 5th 0.78 Rev 3.57
ZF Close: 1st 4.14 2nd 2.37 3rd 1.42 4th 1.00 5th 0.77 Rev 3.79

I've been driving a ZF-42 in my FSB for about 5 years now and like it a lot. The gearing is great for a work truck and pulling a trailer but for trail riding and daily street (sport truck) use I think the close ratio gears would be awsome. When I find another EB the engine and transmission from the FSB ary going in it and I'll look into the gear swap.

Last edited: