• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF swap clutch problems

csangster

Good morning,

I have installed a ZF 5 speed in my bronco using the BC Broncos kit.

When the engine is running, I can’t get it in gear.

When the engine is off and I put the trans in Low, depress the clutch pedal, and start the bronco it lurches forward, but I can hit the brakes and the engine doesn’t die

The clutch feels very light.

I thought I bled it correctly, but maybe not.

Jason at BC Broncos said to just pump the pedal 100+ times with the cap off the master cylinder and it will bleed the air out.

Help please,

Chris

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
On other cars in the past....I have a brake bleeder syringe fill it with fluid purge air attach to bleeder on slave with vacuum hose and inject have someone watch the master use a turkey baster to suck out fluid to keep from spilling over..this has worked in hard to bleed systems...

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
ZF clutch bleed

csangster,

Along with EB2, I used a vacuum bleeder at the slave and ulled about 10 lbs of vacuum. No issues. I even had the transmission out afterwards and only did the pedal bleed and it works fine. Google ZF clutch bleed and you will get some options or wait for someone else to chime in. Good luck.

vr,

Mike

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You probably have the wrong mix of parts. I recall the ZF has 2 different combinations master cylinder and slave cylinder bores over the years. You probably got the large slave cylinder and the small master cylinder. You just don't have enough fluid to fully stroke the clutch.

OP
OP
C

csangster

Fixed

You probably have the wrong mix of parts. I recall the ZF has 2 different combinations master cylinder and slave cylinder bores over the years. You probably got the large slave cylinder and the small master cylinder. You just don't have enough fluid to fully stroke the clutch.

Nah, it wasn’t bled good enough. I spend 30 minutes going back and forth and it worked.

Thanks!