• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF tranny noise

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I finally got my ZF installed and I get a rotational grinding noise from it, kinda like a loose bearing or??? Throwout bearing is new as well as the pilot bearing. The slave and tranny is used but the tranny seems to work OK when shifting but is very noisy and sounds wrong. Anybody give me a clue as to something to check? It sounds as if it's coming from the front of the tranny?

Thanks Ben

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
The Zf makes that noize, Ford put a big chunk of stirafome on the Trans just under the floor and carpet on top.

Good luck

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Cactuskiller, I knew the ZF was noisy but this can't be the same. I can hear it over the exhaust and times and the exhaust isn't super quiet. Not to mention it doesn't do it at the same noise level all the time. In fact if this is the way its' going to stay, does anyone want to buy a ZF and adaptor :cool:

I have been told that the front bearing is the first thing to go on these trannies and I am thinking that might be the issue? To how imperative is it for proper fluid and fluid quantities for function of the ZF?

thanks for reply!

Ben

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
might want to think about a fluid change as well. If it's loud, it's not going to fix that, but, it may help determine cause. I know i had a m5od that the guy put the wrong fluid, boy that thing sang!

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I am going to change the fluid tomorrow and put in some Mobil 1 synthetic mercron dexron and see if that helps quiet it down.

It doesn't matter what gear it's in, it still makes the noise sometimes louder than others. keep the tips coming, I don't know diddly about manual trannies particularly the ZF. Not mention I got to get up at 3am to kill some ducks :cool:

Ben

Amac70

ME
Have you patched all the holes back up in the floor? ZF's are loud i pulled mine out right after install to have it rebuilt cause i thought mine was bad. Was just as loud after they rebuilt it. Patching all the hole in my floor helped a lot with noise but i can still here when im sitting at stop lights.

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
Big Muddy- how much of a change did the ZF make in the driveshaft lengths? If you changed out driveshafts, were they expensive for new ones?

cj54

I don't know for sure on the ZF 5 speeds if they have the same problem, but I know the mazda 5 speeds used in F150's are bad about growling due to the bearings that support the main shaft going bad usually due to excessive engine idling.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Zf

Ben,

Check the answer on Bfix. It's the right one!! LOL

20forward5reverse...

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Sorry guys I have been out busy lately and haven't been able to check the lists. Amac, yeah the floor is all back together.

VA bronco, I had the rear shortened ( new BCB bronco shaft) for around 45.00 locally, I didn't have a new on for the front so I bought a new one from WH for 375 and change.

Thanks Nvrstuk I saw the reply LOL! Guys this isn't just some annoying little noise from under the truck it's something you can easily hear in, under around the whole rig and it's loud! I beleive it may be that main bearing gone bad! what kinda price am talking to get it replaced if I remove the tranny or is this something I can do myself?

thanks Ben

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
place up here gets i think like 650 exchanged with a 90 day warranty

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Tasker, WOW that pretty cheap for rebuild. I paid 650 for this used one plus the shipping to get it down to Arkansas from Colorado.

thanks Ben

75mauibronco

Loc.
makawao
hey howzit going I have a zf in my 75 and man is it noisy it sounds exactly like what your describing I live in maui so I ended up puting lucas oil treatment in to quiet it doun, it helped but not that much mine also seems to get louder after Ive been driving awhile and everything is hot,I would love to figure this out. You can buy rebuild kits on ebay for 260- 300 dollers

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Where did you get the ZF was it from a rebuilder?
The one I put in mine had 90K on it I put it in and drove it made some noize but not bad but I didn't have carpet or a firewall pad eather.
If you want to sell it I want it I am going to build a new Bronco.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Well I fingered out the problem but first: yeah the trannies is noisy but only if I let it idle in neutral otherwise it's fine. The problem was that I used the starter from the 92 mustang on this tranny. Keep in mind I have the EFI 5.0 in my 75 with the ZF. I used the ZF flywheel and installed the mustang starter which is nice because it's a compact high torque unit but it doesn't jive with the F-250 flywheel. The Flywheel has a lip on it that sticks out and the mustang starter cannot slide far enough back to get away from the flywheel. Come to think of it, I might have been able to shim the starter way out but it would have still been close. So I added an 89 F-250 for the 5.0 ZF and it works like a charm and the noise is history! Now I just need to wait till this one dies and get another small high torque unit. Guess I need to talk to RRRAAAYYY to see what he suggests?

Ben

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Sorry Cactus killer, it looks like a keeper. I bought it from a fellow bronco brother out in Colorado that was going to a C-6 for rock racing. I don't have a clue as to how many miles is on it?

Ben

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bigmuddy said:
Well I fingered out the problem but first: yeah the trannies is noisy but only if I let it idle in neutral otherwise it's fine. The problem was that I used the starter from the 92 mustang on this tranny. Keep in mind I have the EFI 5.0 in my 75 with the ZF. I used the ZF flywheel and installed the mustang starter which is nice because it's a compact high torque unit but it doesn't jive with the F-250 flywheel. The Flywheel has a lip on it that sticks out and the mustang starter cannot slide far enough back to get away from the flywheel. Come to think of it, I might have been able to shim the starter way out but it would have still been close. So I added an 89 F-250 for the 5.0 ZF and it works like a charm and the noise is history! Now I just need to wait till this one dies and get another small high torque unit. Guess I need to talk to RRRAAAYYY to see what he suggests?

Ben

I went through the same exact ordeal. The Mustang starter was for an automatic. You can get the same starter for a manual. About $120 bucks at NAPA with core. The ring gear on the flex plate sits about 3/8" further forward than the ring gear on the flywheel. The idle neurtal noise can be greatly reduced with a stock noise blanket. I made one out of a piece of high hystereais (NASA) foam from shop that makes massage and chiroprators tables. They gave me a scrap of 3 inch by about a foot square. I just cut a hole in it to slide it over the shifter to fill the cavity between the tranny and floor boards. Reasonable heat and oil don't seem to degrade it. It's been good for about 2 years now.

NVraider

Loc.
Elko Nevada
Same thing happened to me, starter from AOD, only when I pulled the starter out the gear was gone! Mine makes a noise, similar to lifter noise, at higher rpm even in neutral or with clutch disengaged. I'm positive its not from the motor, I think its some wierd bearing rattle. The trans came out of a 92 F250 from a mine (abused) I just threw it in without rebuilding it. I'll go through it when I get time. Also it grinds hard when I shift too fast from 3rd to 4th, Is that common?