• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF5 install parts list

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
I have a superlift 3.5" suspension lift with 1" bodylift, no issues with driveline angle. Been running this setup for a few years without issue. I am running stock rebuilt driveshafts that have had their lengths changed (zf/205 is longer than the stock 3speed/d20

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Mikes Early Bronco

Oily Driveway Guy
Great help

Thanks so much for the help. I'm ordering now. I'll be sure to get the shims. This week I ordered the crossmember from BC. I was told that its a new design. I wasn't sure what that meant but maybe they addressed the previous issues. If not I'll cut and weld. Thanks again guys. It seems that I have this ironed out now but I'm sure I'll have a few questions along the way.

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

So I did some measurements for the shifter hole. I measured 13.25” from the front of the trans to the shifter down the center line. Transferring that to the tub I got 3.75” from the driver side hump and 1.75” from the front where it starts to angle up. Does this seem like the right spot?
2ae514f6edd3af4bc3dbcbffc1a37048.jpg

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
The leading edge on mine is cut at the crease where the tunnel kicks up

From the driver's side edge I've got 2"to the edge of the shift hole and from the passenger side edge I've got 3 3/4"

Hopefully that helps. First picture is from the driver's side, second is from the passenger side
bfe8714321a1241a22a9e2201c9792ea.jpg
980d18a22d47ac9e05319b43b2538af2.jpg

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

Perfect. That’s real close to my measurements. About 1.25 off of center to the drivers side.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
No it can't, I wanted to try and get rid of it but the shifter needs the tower to actuate. The only mod I've found is a short throw kit, but you'll still use the same shift tower.

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

Oh. I meant just for the process of installing the trans. Then install the shifter from the top side once in place.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Yeah you can take it off for that, I think I did the same thing when I installed mine.

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

Last edited:

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i used an-4 and i retained the quick connect at the slave end. i dont recall how i connected but i dont think i purchased a special end but reused one from a clutch line i got from rock auto for the f250 the tranny came out of. i can go out to the shop later and take a look.

Hank