• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Icon bronco thread with parts list prices, input?

bobzilla

Loc.
Riverside, ca
Why are people jumping all over this guy because he knows what he wants and is willing to spend the money on it? Very few extremely high dollar vehicles are practical or actually something that you would drive all the time so why the hate. He probably wants to sell the lambo because its no good for going grocery shopping in it and it sucks on speed bumps. People say he wouldn't be happy with the ride quality so he shouldn't spend the money. It's about the experience. To say its just an old truck and who would pay that kind of money, well who the hell would pay the money for a full custom 57 Chevy, it's just a two door family sedan, big deal. The man knows what he wants and he simply went to a group of people that he thought would help him with some information. That said I do love the comments and the witty banter.
Bob

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Dynacorn makes all the parts they just don't ship it assembled like some of the camaros, so you have to have a shop build all the parts into a body. The orange bronco at sema was the original dynacorn built body that they'd been toting around the shows for a few years and the blue soft top was build by the same builder but they started with all the individual parts that dynacorn makes, aside from the glove box door and tailgate.

The blue bronco at sema in the dynacorn booth build by JFB was a work of art and much nicer than the krawlers truck, no offense intended to anyone,

That said, the icon thriftmaster was break taking I wish I'd been able to see the br in person

I think your budget for painted body is probably light about 15k or more. Good paint job alone is 10k. I don't know how much dynacorn is charging for the metal but I'd be shocked if it is less than 5k and wouldn't be surprised if it was 10k. I have no idea how many welding hours are needed but I'd be shocked again if it was less than 100 hrs, and 200+ hrs wouldn't surprise me.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I really think you should put a deposit on an ICON, but buy a $20-30K truck now to really know Broncos. Sell it when the ICON is ready or close to that point. Seriously, Broncos ride like shit, I bet even ICONS, so you gotta really want it even if only driving it on the street.

That is good advice.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Yes I want instant gratification, once the car bug bites me it doesn't go away until a car appears.

I own a business and i'm not nor do I really want to be a mechanic but that doesn't diminish my passion for special vehicles or attention to details. Ill get my kicks behind the wheel. Apologies for those that feel part of bronco ownership starts with a old family farm truck and the upgrading and tinkering never ends, but that ain't me.

I think a lot of the "im not a fan of the icon" guys are folks that just think they are a huge scam for the money (because xxx can build a truck that still gets down the road and looks nice for xxxxx less) and that displeasure builds over time to become a blind hate applicable to any situation or context.

I get it, my first reaction was WHATINTHEFUCKARETHEYTHINKING when I saw the pricing, but after doing my diligence to see what is actually there its rather easy to come up with a 90K parts list with nothing allotted for all the development time or tooling costs to generate those parts. or labor to build the truck. or warranty anything. or market it. etc etc etc.

My business operates on what seems like larger margins that theirs and I feel like we make less than we should, probably why he wants 220 for his new truck with much less of a parts list than the broncos.

The wait is probably why id be so willing to pay for one if I could get it now, if they were just sitting there ready to go I would probably still think it was absurd and demand some huge discount.

My best bet is probably going to be buy a nice already built truck like the jfb one and get my rocks off right away. If something crazy happens and I need more bronco in my life then I will go from there but I imagine ill be just fine. The truck may see 2,000 miles a year in use no matter how nice it is its completely a want that I don't even understand.

Sounds like you are looking for instant gratification.

What about buying a 'less than ICON' bronco now (used from a past high dollar resto) for say $30-50k and wait out the ICON build.

Odds are you'd be able to recoup 70-80% of that if you resell it in 2 years. So in the end you get your bronco fix now while you wait for your dream vechile to be built.

And who knows, maybe you end up keeping both!

This sounds like you may be on to something. I would think that if you bought a decent one and put 2k on it a year, you are looking at getting all your money back or possibly even making a bit based on current market trends. Sure sound like you can make sure it is well maintained while it is in your care. Buy the blue truck you saw at the show, have them do the few changes you want and enjoy if for a few years while Icon build you the dream. then sell the blue one, sounds like a win/win!

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OP
OP
M

Mplv

I think your budget for painted body is probably light about 15k or more. Good paint job alone is 10k. I don't know how much dynacorn is charging for the metal but I'd be shocked if it is less than 5k and wouldn't be surprised if it was 10k. I have no idea how many welding hours are needed but I'd be shocked again if it was less than 100 hrs, and 200+ hrs wouldn't surprise me.

Is this the general consensus? 25k for a body with all new metal stripping and windows? with or without the chassis? im right on the edge of buying the jfb truck, working out a few details. its still a load of cash though. May call nick tomorrow to see if he has a few min to spare, I dropped in on him unannounced a few weeks ago :/

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Is this the general consensus? 25k for a body with all new metal stripping and windows? with or without the chassis? im right on the edge of buying the jfb truck, working out a few details. its still a load of cash though. May call nick tomorrow to see if he has a few min to spare, I dropped in on him unannounced a few weeks ago :/

Yes, good body with little rust + top notch show quality paint with meticulous fit of doors / fenders / rockers/ hood will cost 25k+

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are other builders out ther but nick is "straight" and it will be a one off build.

OP
OP
M

Mplv

Yes, good body with little rust + top notch show quality paint with meticulous fit of doors / fenders / rockers/ hood will cost 25k+

Im talking about all new sheet metal assembly from restoration parts.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Im talking about all new sheet metal assembly from restoration parts.

whether you buy all new sheet metal (which needs to be assembled and fit together) or find a donor with a good body (which might be more complete, but need some prep work = strip & dip) I think the costs will be comparative, ie 10k +/-

Then comes the paint prep and paint

Rolltide

Loc.
Enterprise, AL
Apologies for those that feel part of bronco ownership starts with a old family farm truck and the upgrading and tinkering never ends, but that ain't me.

What I love about the bronco community is 99% of us are salt of the earth guys. If you ever read the mustang forums or ford diesel forums, those guys can be brutal to each other.

You just have to understand our community. Building the rig and the stories we have doing so is where the value is. Getting the local bronco guys together and cruising down main street and daily driving the leaky cold rust bucket in the winter... Thats who makes up this forum. "built not bought"

I might be speaking for myself but you're missing out on the real enjoyment if you go and drop $140k on a ride. I realize you're different... I'm just helping you understand your audience... Good luck with the icon

Break--- Jeff good to see you posting man! Haven't seen you on here in awhile. Hope you're well...

Zach

Broncitis

MEB Founder

You will easily have $25K in a high end complete body with paint (no chassis, assuming you want a new custom chassis like KE or TDK that will run $2000-$5000).

If Dynacorn ever gets the complete body to market I expect it will be $12-$15K for the bare shell. And that is with them doing them in actual production by people in Asia with dedicated fixtures and tooling for the job.

If you take a pile of pieces in the kit form http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-14180-unassembled-bronco-body-tub-kit.html and add grille, hood, doors, dash tailgate, top, glass, rubber, door tracks, regulators, latches, etc. plus the labor to put it together, I'd say you will easily be $15K+, maybe $20K or more even and then you need to prep and paint ($10K minimum for something really nice).

If that sounds bad, restoring a body can be even more costly when you find hidden surprised after it is stripped bare. $20-$30K in bodywork and paint (not including the original "decent" body you start with) is not uncommon.

A set of new or completely restored doors alone will cost you $3K by the time they have all new or restored components in them and color on them. Doors are a PITA! Roadsters with a soft top saves a ton of money and fit labor during a restoration!

For a nice stock frame sandblasted bare and painted ready to put parts on, add $1000-$1500 or so.

Ignore the jealousy of some people. I think it is cool that guys who can buy whatever they want, now want Broncos. I and many others on here have knows how cool they were for decades, so of you were just a bit slow in realizing it!;)

Yes, building something yourself is great and all and does give another level of satisfaction, but some people (like you seem to be) are better at making money than cars. If I made $300-$500+ an hour like many people do, it would be dumb for me to spend that time restoring a car instead of paying a shop $50-$100 an hour to do it *unless, I was looking for another hobby*, but many people are not, and only want to drive and enjoy them, not work on them. Some people on here just to not get that.

OP
OP
M

Mplv

I think I have a deal done on the jfb truck, just trying to make sure we get the transmission right, didn't hear anything today from them though so idk..I can only imagine the "I wanna get the F home" feeling after being at a show like this for a week though.

Btw, The krawler truck is broken down in Albuquerque

distended

Contributor
Ignore the jealousy of some people. I think it is cool that guys who can buy whatever they want, now want Broncos. I and many others on here have knows how cool they were for decades, so of you were just a bit slow in realizing it!;)

I'm not jealous for one bit!

He came across as a total self absorbed, narcissistic "douche bag" (his words not mine). I took his first few post that way. I could give a crap less who he is, what he does, or what he owns/owned and good for him that he has the money to buy what ever his heart desires, I'd take any old lowly E-1 in any branch the military over people like that any day of the week!

Jealous, not in the F'ing least!

For me there's more to people than net worth, it's character, humility, integrity, bragging about what you have, had or what you can buy is a big turn off for me.

Not going to give "cudo's and welcome's" to people who like the same things I like because it's what's in style now.

I'll stay posted and watch though and if I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it, I'm not afraid to be proven wrong, either way.

u10072

Bronco Guru
MPLV,
Here is my take on your Icon quest. You went out and saw a pretty cool truck with great fit and finish, some really nice higher end components, 400hp, looked up all the press and thought wow thats super bitchin! So then you went and looked at the blue bronco at SEMA- which is basically a nice paint job and not much else. There's no real motor, suspension mods or anything else for that matter-- just a bunch of nice paint and new parts. The Icon is nice because its got tons of new tech thats been done to it and also has lots of press. If you are really serious about building something amazing then go to www.alwayshotrods.com -- that bronco is about a $400k bronco and makes everything including an Icon look like total junk. If the guy that owns it would have taken it to SEMA-- the rest of the basic builds that were there including the 4 door JK look alike, wouldnt probably even be spoken about because it might have won about every award there. I personally think the whole Icon company is a shell game-- you keep seeing the same trucks again and again. Could be totally wrong but it wouldnt surprise me one bit if it rings true. If it were me and I had the cash that you do --and I dont begrudge you one bit for having it btw-- I would have the Geiser Brothers build you the suspension off of the stock chassis and then have Troy Trepanier do all the body finish work-- thats basically what the All Ways Hot Rods did. There are lots of nice things about the Icon bronco but why spend $200k on something that isn't really that badass? This might be a really bold statement but my "Victoria" truck will turn more heads than the Icon will when its finished and its no where near the Icon price-- the only thing mine wont have is the engine- but for about $6500 it would way surpass the power of the Icon in supercharged power. If you do want a custom truck go to Nick as he is closest if not equal to that of the Icon -- BAB and the others at SEMA aren't even close to that level. There were so many pepboys parts on the JK look alike and the others, its almost comical. When I see a non functioning trans shifter, gear clamp on the return power steering hose, off the shelf junky battery cables with a simple power wire hanging on, cheesy air cleaners, and old bolts holding on the steering boxes I just had to shake my head in amazement. Just dont spend $75k on a really nice blue paintjob and a new body. You have the cash-- build something that a true car guy looks at and says look at the way the spark plug wires are loomed and routed and how the bolts are meticulously matched. Its all the super tiny little things that make the super custom high end -- and none of it but the oil is bought at Pep boys! If you do intend to build something -- I would get someone who knows Early Broncos, knows what high end parts are, how the high end is accomplished and use them as a "build foreman" of sorts so that the finished product is actually -- well badass and not just marketing and youtube videos. You have the money-- spend it wisely and if you ever do run into Jay Leno or a guy that actually sees more than a paintjob they will truly be impressed!

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
like the others said buy something now to to play around with and get your name on the Icon list, good shit cost good money.

You already have your mind made up you want an icon, just do it..