• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Icon bronco thread with parts list prices, input?

Mplv

Hey guys, nice forum!

I really want a bronco, I've had every modern day car you could imagine and I'm ready for something old.

Stumbled upon the Icon Bronco and pretty much fell in love. Sadly they are backed up 2+ years on builds so I started doing some looking to figure out what I wanted. Also sadly, I pretty much would want all the same items/ features that they use on a build. I want the truck to handle like a modern day sporty SUV.

I went to sema solely on a bronco mission, the JFB built dynacorn rig stole my heart. They build an amazing truck and it the fit and finish and paintwork were incredible.

I have had a love affair with Porsche Riveria blue for 20 years and have a Porsche that color already in the garage. I probably would have bought it off the floor at sema if it had an automatic transmission and tilt steering.

Once I talked myself out of the Riveria blue jfb truck and he hassles of shifting with my little man on board and my cell phone that's glued to my hand I started talking to some of Jonathan's vendors on the icon stuff.

As I suspected most of the things he uses on the Icons are protected by the manufactures to be his and his alone. Pretty much the only thing you can call and say "gimme the icon parts" were the wheels, axles, a/c system.

Stoptech, fox, eibach, Art Morrison all said the specific parts were unavailable but I'm sure a good shop could get me close enough.

I have compiled a list of the parts needed to build a ground up bronco and would like your input, so I can decide what to do. I don't really want to end up with 120k in a truck and not have the branding and resale that go with the Icons so its not really clear for me from a wtf do I do standpoint.

Thanks again for your input

OP
OP
M

Mplv

Wheels and tires $5000 - Hutchinson beadlocks with bfg's
Frame $5000 - krawlers edge
Suspension components/sways/linkages $2000
Body with paint $10000 - built with dynacorn bodies with hardtop and original mold tailgate
Axles $6000 - dynatrac 60 rear 44 front
Brakes $6000 - stoptech or brembos
Transmission $2500 built automatic
Motor $10000 - the hotrod ford motorsport coyote not the regular 5.0
Brake master cyl and lines $2000.
Air cond $1500 vintage air
Gauges $1000 Dakota dash with GPS
Shocks $5000 fox coil overs with remote res.
Seats $2000 - something a little more supportive than factory
Interior trim $1500 door/trunk panels with speaker shrouds
Stereo $3000 6 speakers, sub,hidden amp, iPad mini mounted to dash for Nav/audio
Driveshafts $1500
Bumpers $2500 want the same not sure who makes them
Soft top $2000 bc broncos (icons is made with mercedes parts)
Transfer case $3000 atlas 2 twin stick with adapters
Power steering $1500
Steering column and wheel $1000 ididit tilt
Seat belts. $500
Carpet $500
Dynamat $500
Billet trims $1500 drakes with pvd black coating
Fuel tank and pump $2000 unknown
Misc trims $1000 could be more?
Seal kit $500 - Steele rubber, may be included in prepped body price
Glass inc in body?
Radiator $1500 aluminum with spam electric fans
Wiring kits $3000 not sure whose
Lights $2000 LEDs all around
Fluids $500 difs, trans, oil, etc
Wipers $500 3 speed kit
Exhaust $1000 something stainless
Headers $1000 unless they come on frpp motor
Steering rack $1000
Winch $2000 warn 9.5 synthetic rope with hook
Amp steps $1000 both sides
A glove box door with a title $1000

Labor on everything except body ????

Seems like a bad idea and makes their 160k truck seem not so far fetched, did I over shoot anything or miss anything?

I'd rather pay the extra money to them to have something resale able with a brand than trying to show someone 100k in parts receipts trying to recoup my money, and I've got another car in the barn designed by camilo prado.

Thanks for the input again

Must.find.way.to.front.of.icon.line!!!!

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Honestly I don't think the branding will make much difference on resale. For most either they have the cash to buy the Icon new or they don't care about the brand. On resale I think it will fetch a small premium over a well restored Bronco but nowhere near the origin investment. I am not knocking Icon or what they do, I think their stuff is art but I just don't see the resale market being that strong. If you think about it say you wanted to fetch 50k for a resale Icon well now you are getting in the territory of a frame off from a respected builder. When you contrast that will a now used Icon restore it becomes hard to justify just for the Icon badge.

Also some of the components you have listed, you can find alternatives that are as high quality at a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Did you look at the rig by Krawlers Edge, it's pretty slick!! Don't know the price?? Don't know where you are but Nick's Trix (http://www.nickstrix.com/) in NC makes some really nice EB's!!! There's alot of ways to get what you want for less than $160 and it hold it's value. Just my 2 cents!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
M

Mplv

Icon just resold an fj40 they build 2 years ago for 140k. When you get tired of them you send them back and he resells. It works because of the wait. Which I'd be at the end of anyway. And not sure how a builder is going to deliver me that truck with 90k plus in parts for 60k as you suggested? Maybe there's folks in the business of losing large sums of money but I've never found one?

I live a mile from nicks trix, he's backed up 2 years and his hooked up builds start at 90k.

And yeah there are some parts you could skimp on but that's not really my style. Ether build it as cheap as you can and enjoy it that way or go balls out, and I'm a balls out type.

I'm sure you could skimp on axles and t-case and coil overs and brakes but is 15k going to make it cheaper enough to justify? I don't think so, i think I'd always just wish I'd have spent the extra money.

Icon told me a large reason for the wait is finding the uncut trucks. I'm going to call him Monday and see what he says about having one of the regular builders ship him a primered dynacorn body i guess.

Or just talk jfb into rearranging the Riveria blue truck that they want 70k for. It needs tilt, ac, automatic and carpet at the bare minimum.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Icon just resold an fj40 they build 2 years ago for 140k. When you get tired of them you send them back and he resells. It works because of the wait. Which I'd be at the end of anyway. And not sure how a builder is going to deliver me that truck with 90k plus in parts for 60k as you suggested? Maybe there's folks in the business of losing large sums of money

No need to be a smart ass, I was simply trying to offer you perspective a used Icon truck does not have 90k worth of parts it has used parts which are no longer worth what they once where. A lot of respectable builders builds start at 50k, they don't have the parts that a new icon have in them but they have new parts that are quality parts and worth more than used parts. I was not suggesting that is what you do, I was offering perspective on how some people (many on this board who are the target market of builders) view the equation. I could be totally wrong on that perspective but it is a view I have heard expressed many times and I did a similar equation when I decided on the path that I would take.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I'm going to call him Monday and see what he says about having one of the regular builders ship him a primered dynacorn body i guess.

Dynacorn bodies don't exist yet. They have produced exactly one so far. One of the builders ended up with it and was doing a build with it last I saw. There is no specified date or timeframe of body availability if ever. I did read something about a shop putting one together out of parts.

OP
OP
M

Mplv

Sorry on the smartass but its better than being a dumbass. You are nuts if you think a used icon is a 50k truck when used trucks from the respectable builders are trading for more than that. I would be willing to bet you could spend 50k more new on an icon that it would cost to try to build a proper duplicate and lose less on the icon after a year of ownership. Probably closer to 3-4 times less. You don't understand marketing and branding amongst a truck that gets 5000 google hits vs a truck that would be built at a random shop without the branding

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Sorry on the smartass but its better than being a dumbass. You are nuts if you think a used icon is a 50k truck when used trucks from the respectable builders are trading for more than that. I would be willing to bet you could spend 50k more new on an icon that it would cost to try to build a proper duplicate and lose less on the icon after a year of ownership. Probably closer to 3-4 times less. You don't understand marketing and branding amongst a truck that gets 5000 google hits vs a truck that would be built at a random shop without the branding

Nice attitude. Go find an uncut truck and have Jonathan build it for you. I doubt you will be happy with less. ;)

OP
OP
M

Mplv

Dynacorn bodies don't exist yet. They have produced exactly one so far. One of the builders ended up with it and was doing a build with it last I saw. There is no specified date or timeframe of body availability if ever. I did read something about a shop putting one together out of parts.

Dynacorn makes all the parts they just don't ship it assembled like some of the camaros, so you have to have a shop build all the parts into a body. The orange bronco at sema was the original dynacorn built body that they'd been toting around the shows for a few years and the blue soft top was build by the same builder but they started with all the individual parts that dynacorn makes, aside from the glove box door and tailgate.

The blue bronco at sema in the dynacorn booth build by JFB was a work of art and much nicer than the krawlers truck, no offense intended to anyone,

That said, the icon thriftmaster was break taking I wish I'd been able to see the br in person

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL

Good luck with your search. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited:

crc419

MPLV, I hope everyone has your ability to justify----makes what's in my garage worth a whole lot more!!

Dlish

Life just seems really tough for you right now man. A blue Porsche in the garage, another car designed by Camilo Pardo (so you have a gt40 too?), you text and drive, and want to drop another 150K on a bronco.

Yawn, 5 posts and all I want to do is help with your dilemma.

Sounds like you should withdraw another 50K and try to buy the next Icon built from whoever paid 150K for it. You get the Icon and no wait. Win win.

Seriously, all your posts add up to the fact that Icons hold their value, none of the vendors currently offer a product that perfectly matches your expectations and fits within your need it now timeframe. Or just have JFB change the tranny out and potentially sacrifice resale since it will never be an Icon.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Life just seems really tough for you right now man. A blue Porsche in the garage, another car designed by Camilo Pardo (so you have a gt40 too?), you text and drive, and want to drop another 150K on a bronco.

Yawn, 5 posts and all I want to do is help with your dilemma.

Sounds like you should withdraw another 50K and try to buy the next Icon built from whoever paid 150K for it. You get the Icon and no wait. Win win.

Seriously, all your posts add up to the fact that Icons hold their value, none of the vendors currently offer a product that perfectly matches your expectations and fits within your need it now timeframe. Or just have JFB change the tranny out and potentially sacrifice resale since it will never be an Icon.

I believe the ICON price tag has went up and is somewhere in the $190k range now.

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
So heres what you do, call up Rocky Roads or Build a Bronco and have them build you this Bronco / Icon look a like in Riveria blue. Rocky Roads has a suspension package that is almost identical to the coil over suspension that Icon is using, plus if you use the krawlers edge frame you could run a Coyote 5.0 with a 6 speed auto and an Atlas 2 t-case and drive to Starbucks getting great gas milage and not have a back breaking ride while you're at it. I can tell by the amount of money you're willing to spend and the cars you own that you're not the type of person that is going to go out and beat on a Bronco like a majority of this forums users do, most people on here aren't huge fans of these high dollar Broncos cause they're too expensive and they lack a lot of what makes a classic Bronco... a classic Bronco. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that Bronco's have been getting a ton of attention and it's raising the resale value of the two I own, but I couldn't justify spending over $100k on a Bronco and then go take it on the Rubicon, Dusy Ershim trail, or Moab for that matter.

distended

Contributor
Wow!
MPLA, there's a lot of people in this world with a lot of money, some of them are on this board. I can honestly say that I haven't seen someone so out of touch in all of 5 posts, ever! I can tell now it's not the item you desire it's the prestige you think it will bring and you make me think you're either a lawyer or a politician.

Here's a thought, spend ten grand on an EB with a good body because that's the hardest thing to fix, put your damn cell down, buy all the parts you could dream of, take little Jr. out of his car seat and put them on together. Your ROI will last your and his lifetime.

Crimson66

Loc.
Olive Branch, Ms.
Broncos

IMO, most Bronco owners take a certain Love and Pride in these ''Jewels'' that money cant buy. I suggest place your order on a shiny new Lamborghini Aventador, it's sure to live up you your standards.

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
Have you considered just buying a Land Rover Defender 90 or 110? They are absurdly expensive for what they are, have 4 link coil suspensions front and rear, disc brakes, removeable top, aluminum body with a galvanized frame, and might live up to your high standards :D

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Wheels and tires $5000 - Hutchinson beadlocks with bfg's
Frame $5000 - krawlers edge
Suspension components/sways/linkages $2000
Body with paint $10000 - built with dynacorn bodies with hardtop and original mold tailgate (way low for the body and paint for a vehicle of the level you or many of us are interested in).
Axles $6000 - dynatrac 60 rear 44 front (Low again for Dynatracs. Why a 60 rear and 44 front? Especially on a rig mainly for the street with smaller tires? IMO, 9" rear, 44 or possibly 60 front)
Brakes $6000 - stoptech or brembos (no idea, I'm sure some of these get pricey, but for a Bronco, seems overkill IMO, if you want something that rides like it is on rails and stops on a dime, a lifted 4x4 is not the best option)
Transmission $2500 built automatic
Motor $10000 - the hotrod ford motorsport coyote not the regular 5.0
Brake master cyl and lines $2000. (seems high to me without more detail)
Air cond $1500 vintage air
Gauges $1000 Dakota dash with GPS
Shocks $5000 fox coil overs with remote res. (Again, this number seeems on the high side)
Seats $2000 - something a little more supportive than factory
Interior trim $1500 door/trunk panels with speaker shrouds
Stereo $3000 6 speakers, sub,hidden amp, iPad mini mounted to dash for Nav/audio
Driveshafts $1500 (anything special to justify this price? Carolina Driveline shafts are about $200 each, Tom Woods are $310 including shipping).
Bumpers $2500 want the same not sure who makes them (Icon bumpers are not a standard offering and are likely also build exclusively for them)
Soft top $2000 bc broncos (icons is made with mercedes parts)
Transfer case $3000 atlas 2 twin stick with adapters
Power steering $1500
Steering column and wheel $1000 ididit tilt
Seat belts. $500
Carpet $500
Dynamat $500
Billet trims $1500 drakes with pvd black coating
Fuel tank and pump $2000 unknown (seems high to me depending on the pump or other specs, I could build a custom one off stainless tank with commonly used pumps for less than that )
Misc trims $1000 could be more?
Seal kit $500 - Steele rubber, may be included in prepped body price (Highly unlikely)
Glass inc in body? (Highly unlikely)
Radiator $1500 aluminum with spam electric fans
Wiring kits $3000 not sure whose (More like $300-$500 for any of the Bronco specific kits)
Lights $2000 LEDs all around
Fluids $500 difs, trans, oil, etc
Wipers $500 3 speed kit
Exhaust $1000 something stainless
Headers $1000 unless they come on frpp motor
Steering rack $1000 (rack or traditional PS gearbox?)
Winch $2000 warn 9.5 synthetic rope with hook
Amp steps $1000 both sides
A glove box door with a title $1000 (unless you are looking for something rare like an early production 66 U13, $250 to $400 is about the going rate)

Labor on everything except body ???? (Why no labor on the body? It surely will not be assembled from the $5000 metal body kit Jeff's Bronco Graveyard sells, prepped and painted to a high level for anywhere near the $10K you have listed above.)

Seems like a bad idea and makes their 160k truck seem not so far fetched, did I over shoot anything or miss anything?

I'd rather pay the extra money to them to have something resale able with a brand than trying to show someone 100k in parts receipts trying to recoup my money, and I've got another car in the barn designed by camilo prado.

Thanks for the input again

Must.find.way.to.front.of.icon.line!!!!

I have made a few quick observations and notes to his list.

FWIW, I have built a few "above average" Broncos myself. One was a custom I did for a member on here about 8 years ago that was similar in general appearance to the current Icon. That rig did not have many of the items you mentioned, and ended up only about $10K shy of your number.....8 years ago.

I also know of two other non-Icons being built now that are expected to approach $200K. It can add up super quick even if you do not have the "brand" on it.

Yes, the GT is a cool ride. Their are a couple Bronco guys I know and a couple other friends who have them as well. Probably my favorite modern car of all time.

Last edited:

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
IMO, most Bronco owners take a certain Love and Pride in these ''Jewels'' that money cant buy. I suggest place your order on a shiny new Lamborghini Aventador, it's sure to live up you your standards.

Have you considered just buying a Land Rover Defender 90 or 110? They are absurdly expensive for what they are, have 4 link coil suspensions front and rear, disc brakes, removeable top, aluminum body with a galvanized frame, and might live up to your high standards :D

LOL, I owned a Defender and came within a handshake of buying a Lamborghini LM002 at one point. I will tell you that Defender was one of the best trail/hunting trucks I ever owned (after I swapped a 4BT into it). That being said both where deals and I kick myself to this day for not pulling the trigger on the LM002.