• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explain the color of my 1969 Bronco

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
This is the first EB I ever owned. Purchased in the Fall of 1999. Despite never seeing another Bronco this color, I've always believed it was the factory color.

Today I finally did some research and am now even more confused.

Color P on the data tag which correlates to Medium Ivy Green Metallic - which is a perfect description of the color.

However, on the paint samples below, P is more generally referred to Boxwood Green. I would never in a million years call this light green metallic color Boxwood Green. Why would Medium Ivy Green Metallic also be referred to as Boxwood Green when they look nothing alike?

Attachments

• Reno Bronco 1.jpg
    Reno Bronco 1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Reno Bronco 2.jpg
    Reno Bronco 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Reno Bronco 3.jpg
    Reno Bronco 3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 1969 ford truck.jpg
    1969 ford truck.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 1969 ford truck02.jpg
    1969 ford truck02.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 104

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
Doesn’t it depend on the year? My 1969 has code P and it is boxwood. What year is yours?

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
That's definitely not boxwood green. You might want to check the previous and the following year paint codes. The color could be a result of how early or late yours was built in the year. That's totally a guess.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
That's definitely not boxwood green. You might want to check the previous and the following year paint codes. The color could be a result of how early or late yours was built in the year. That's totally a guess.

Again, look at the paint photos I posted. Color P in 1969 & 1970 + K in 1971 is referred to as both Boxwood Green and Medium Ivy Green

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Drew's comprehensive list here calls out both colors as well.

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
Clearly a painted top and fiberglass front grill or front clip...it looks to have been painted.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Clearly a painted top and fiberglass front grill or front clip...it looks to have been painted.

The interior is all the same color. As is the cowl, core support, kick panels, and fender aprons. While it's possible that someone stripped the whole thing down and painted the complete tub inside and out sometime in the 30 years before I bought it, I'm going to say that's pretty doubtful. The color it was painted matches the "Medium Ivy Green Metallic" description perfectly.

Contributor
Did your bronco get a tub swap at some time? My frame is a ‘69 and the color is listed as candy apple red, but the tub is I think a ‘72 hot ginger color.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
For my June built 1969, Color P is Ford #3150, or PPG 43716

I also had the same concern when I bought my 69 Bronco. I had limited cell signal, and the roll cage blocked the glovebox door. My first hit on the internet for paint code "P" came back as "medium Ivy metallic." Previous owner thought it was a 1970, but no body side marker lights. The reflector screw holes were filled, and it was blue over yellow over green, and the doors, tailgate, hood and fenders were multi colored. But when took it apart, under the cowl was Boxwood.

And the Marti report came back as Boxwood. Posted here.

So now I question why the internet thinks 1969 "P" is medium Ivy?

Attachments

• Marti_report.pdf
    280.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0817.jpeg
    IMG_0817.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 31

LHardin

If it's the color you actually want, take to an auto paint supply (like PPG, KMG, House of Color, ETC.) and they can match it.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If it's the color you actually want, take to an auto paint supply (like PPG, KMG, House of Color, ETC.) and they can match it.

That has nothing to do with it. Half of the body panels have been replaced over the years so it's no longer all the same color. The green metallic that it's painted is ugly as sin.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
One is the "Bronco Promotional Name" per Drew's chart and one is the "Standard Color Name". I'm not sure where Drew got the Standard Color name but I'll ask him - knowing him it's something he researched pretty thoroughly. Sometimes the Bronco Promotional Names changed from year to year with the color never changing. @Broncitis.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Here are the wheel tubs and fender aprons that have been removed and sitting in my backyard for the past 15 years. With the engine sticker still on the one, I'm going to say these have never been repainted since they left the factory.

Would you guys call this Boxwood Green?

Attachments

• 20240416_144943.jpg
    20240416_144943.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240416_144947.jpg
    20240416_144947.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 55

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here are the wheel tubs and fender aprons that have been removed and sitting in my backyard for the past 15 years. With the engine sticker still on the one, I'm going to say these have never been repainted since they left the factory.

Would you guys call this Boxwood Green?
That looks too light for Boxwood to me.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Drew is traveling to Super Cel right now but I got this note back from him after he read the thread.

"Standard color names come off Ford Dealership/paint shop books that I have. Promotional names sometimes changed year to year and from one model for car and truck line to another. We'll have to look at the dealership binder with all the paint codes and samples when I get back to see if I mixed one of them up or not".

Todd Z.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
That looks too light for Boxwood to me.

Todd Z.

These match the overall color of the Bronco. As I've said, the name "Medium Ivy Green Metallic" describes this paint perfectly. The only other Bronco I've ever seen that might have possibly been this color was at one of the WH shows, a Bronco that had had a color change had the doors off and the area under the hinges was this color. I didn't ask the owner about it, but that's the only time I've seen this color on another Bronco.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Drew is traveling to Super Cel right now but I got this note back from him after he read the thread.

"Standard color names come off Ford Dealership/paint shop books that I have. Promotional names sometimes changed year to year and from one model for car and truck line to another. We'll have to look at the dealership binder with all the paint codes and samples when I get back to see if I mixed one of them up or not".

Todd Z.

@thegreatjustino was it very late 69' vin or other? All the other greens that look similar to your pics came a couple model years later from what I can see on the color charts. Only other thing I can guess would be a repaint, which you've ruled out, or some body, frame, warranty plate shenanigans at some point. But, P was only used for Boxwood in 69' and 70' then went to K.
It looks like Scandia Green Poly or Diamond Green from 73', but the codes and vin don't match that. Interesting puzzle for sure.

There were no greens even similar to those pics for 68'.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
was it very late 69' vin or other?

I'd need to look at the BroncOhio VIN chart to see what month it was built, but it is a later in the year '69 with electric wipers. Also, there had to have been some paint work done at some point - the top for one and the fiberglass front clip. Both of those were painted the same color as the body at some point before I bought it. Considering the half ass work done all over the Bronco when I bought it, no previous owner put anything expensive into this, so a full repaint inside and out is highly unlikely. But that's pure speculation on my part based on all the cheap fixes I had to repair once I bought it.

Last edited: