• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Converting to electronic brake booster

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cant wait for the ebay site to list "Early Bronco" as a user...

I considered electric steering and brakes about a decade or more ago, no tech to support what I needed. I would and does solve a lot of front dress issues. Glad to see it evolve.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Cant wait for the ebay site to list "Early Bronco" as a user...

I considered electric steering and brakes about a decade or more ago, no tech to support what I needed. I would and does solve a lot of front dress issues. Glad to see it evolve.
I find it funny how it solves the same problem for a 5 year old engine and a 55 year old engine.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
This is interesting. I am currently building another custom offset bracket for the HB different from my other builds. I may shift to this idea if its a 2 wire/3 wire thing.
Do you need brake sensors for this to work?
Is it just the mechanical rod to command the brake functions?
I like how HB is just the rod that commands fluid direction.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
This is interesting. I am currently building another custom offset bracket for the HB different from my other builds. I may shift to this idea if its a 2 wire/3 wire thing.
https://www.evcreate.com/wiring-the-tesla-ibooster/

It looks pretty straight forward. Since I have a gen 2 it looks like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-15 135526.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-15 135526.png
    174.7 KB · Views: 30

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
What are you trying to do with offset and the HB? The electric stuff is interesting, but I think my offset HB turned out beautifully.

IMG_6176.jpeg IMG_6177.jpeg

wsager

In Dick’s picture above, only 12v constant, 12v ignition and ground have to be run. His colored lines show that you just have to run wires from one plug to the other. Set up that way, no sensors are required, it just boosts the mechanical rod connected to your regular brake pedal.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
In Dick’s picture above, only 12v constant, 12v ignition and ground have to be run. His colored lines show that you just have to run wires from one plug to the other. Set up that way, no sensors are required, it just boosts the mechanical rod connected to your regular brake pedal.
Full disclosure, this is second hand information I have not proven it myself.

turbotim2

Curious about the Volvo pump, does it have the pressure to run a stock PS box and 35's as well has hydroboost brakes?

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Curious about the Volvo pump, does it have the pressure to run a stock PS box and 35's as well has hydroboost brakes?
From what I've read yes. I'm looking at doing hydro assist as well and was thinking running 3 systems might be asking a lot which is why I'm looking at electric brakes.

OP
OP
fredc

fredc

Loc.
Greenville
So I have a question for any knowledgeable souls out there. I have a 77 Bronco with a mid 90's Mustang 5.0 and a mustang hydro boost brake set up. I am wanting to convert to a Tesla electronic brake system using a bosch ibooster. So the question I have is about switching out the Master Cylinder. The one that comes with the ibooster has a 1 inch bore. I have disc front and rear and need a 1 1/8 inch bore Master Cylinder. I have a Welwood MC with a 1 1/8 inch bore. the mounting holes on the MC are oval so it will bolt up to the ibooster brake booster just fine. It just needs to be clocked about 45 degrees for the new MC to be level. The only other issue is that I need to fab a push pin for the booster push rod to make conatct with and be flush with the new Master Cylinder plunger. Does anyone see any flaws in the idea? I should be able to switch out the Master cylinder? Correct. All the Electric vehicle forums do not talk about switching out the MC.
Comments and feedback welcome.

As part of this I am also switching to a Volvo Electric Power Steering pump. But that is very straight forward.

thanks Fred C
Finished my conversion to an electronic brake booster out of a Tesla. I used the Gen 1 iBooster. There is a good wedisite for all the info on the iBooster, its called evcrate. I had to use the angle braket off the firewall to make it fit with my 5.0 EFI swap.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds great! Have you driven it yet? Given it the full tests?
Now, for the just as important stuff for us, got pics! :)

OP
OP
fredc

fredc

Loc.
Greenville
I have and brakes work great( disc front and rear ), I went with a 1/1/8 bore Master cylinder from Jegs. I do have pictures, but not sure how to post them on the forum.

turbotim2

That looks great! Did you also complete the Volvo electric power steering pump conversion?