• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 bronco sport

PeteSchumpert

Loc.
kinards south caroli
Hello what is a 1974 bronco sport worth roughly,(barn find)302 ,three speed in the floor 456 gear ratio nice metallic green with white and red pinstripe on the bottom ,no rust at all.it still needs restored .has had the fender flares put on a long time ago.I can't figure out how to post pictures it has power steering and power brakes.guy is asking $12000 Thanks Pete

slim811

Contributor
Welcome Pete! Is it a Sport + Ranger package?
ea98dfbf302073a95d7c78b9194b79df.png
Did you know what color interior seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pops68

Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Unrelated to the Bronco itself, but in the fourth picture, it looks like American chestnut leaves near the hood of the vehicle.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a forester so I notice things that may seem trivial to others.

Anyone agree or disagree??

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I agree, and if you look on the ground in the 7th picture, where the door is open, I think I see some chestnuts.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are those the Eastern American chestnuts , I thought they were less common than the regular American chestnuts

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Hello what is a 1974 bronco sport worth roughly,(barn find)302 ,three speed in the floor 456 gear ratio nice metallic green with white and red pinstripe on the bottom ,no rust at all.it still needs restored .has had the fender flares put on a long time ago.I can't figure out how to post pictures it has power steering and power brakes.guy is asking $12000 Thanks Pete

Does it run? My first impressions, I highly doubt its rust free, and over priced.

slim811

Contributor

Attachments

• 1974-bronco Avacado ranger houndstooth.jpg
    1974-bronco Avacado ranger houndstooth.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 48

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is that the Bronco in question in Pete's inquiry slim?

Hard for me to tell. Does it look like this started out as a Sport with someone adding Ranger stripes before cutting?

You talking about the one above, or the one in the video?
The one here in your pictures looks like original Ranger stripes due to their cracking and checking. Looks exactly like the ones on a '75 a friend had with less than 60k miles, all original exhaust, carpet and other stuff. And truly zero rust.

And just like that one (is that the one you were asking about Pete?) there is NOT ONE CORNER OF THE BRONCO THAT DOESN'T NEED RESTORING!
In this crazy world someone thinks this Bronco is worth $10k just as it sits because "it's original" (which it isn't anymore) but in this condition, it literally has to be dipped in a vat of Green-Killer to get rid of the mold, mildew, lichen, and shrubbery that has taken hold.

In a normal (albeit overpriced) world, this is a $3000 Bronco at most.
In the current fever-pitched market, it's a $5000 Bronco because someone who's not really getting it will jump all over it thinking that the next $40,000 they put into restoring it is going to make it somehow a $60,000 Bronco. Which it likely won't...
But then again, with the right buyers it could.... Which is why there always seems to be someone willing to jump in full force on a pile.

So in spite of it being a Ranger (which can only add so much value in and of itself) it better be almost brand new everywhere you can't see and have less than 4000 miles on it before it was parked.
And even then it's still just a $3000 Bronco.

Dented fenders.
Tweaked rear corner
Mucho potential rust until you see pics from under everything.
Mucho potential rust on every exposed surface everywhere else.
PO-modified wiring.
Missing tire carrier (probably due to the tweaked rear corner)
Rusty exhaust
Cheap universal fender flares. Luckily this means that the stock fenders aren't as mutliated as they could have been, so new flares can likely be fitted with little issue. And the dented part of the front fender can go away.
Chrome trim likely salvageable. Chrome rear light bezels missing, but nice black ones in their place.
Some or all of the headliner MIA.
Etcetera stuff too...
Engine?

So just as it sits, with no labor added, the price for parts probably tops $20k right now.

Consider that when pricing it out and see if it's worth it to you. If you do your own work, then the total cost is way less.
If you have it done professionally, expect to pay a minimum of $60,000 bucks in today's restoration market. Notice too, that I said "minimum" in there as well. That way you won't be too shocked if and when it keeps going up.

Hence my current estimate of $3000 and my recommendation to offer less up front.
Unfortunately though, as I said before, you might be bidding alongside others that are just salivating at such a glorious find.%)
Up to you how you deal with that scenario.

Good luck!
And welcome too Pete. Hope it works out for you. A '74 Ranger is actually a nice desirable model. But you could spend less on one already on the road when all is said and done. So how that works for you is if your budget allows a big up front purchase price, or you have to start at the low end and build it yourself.

Paul

Pops68

Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Sorry again for the hijack......spap: Never heard of eastern American chestnut as a separate species, just American chestnut. Most likely the same thing. Not as common as it used to be, most living ones are small/re-sprouts off of stumps. Hybrids (supposedly/hopefully blight resistant) are being planted in the northeast.

Slowleak, I see the potential husks on the ground, too.

Now, back to the Bronco!

slim811

Contributor
Thanks for chiming in.

Is that the Bronco in question in Pete's inquiry slim?

You talking about the one above, or the one in the video?
The one here in your pictures looks like original Ranger stripes due to their cracking and checking. Looks exactly like the ones on a '75 a friend had with less than 60k miles, all original exhaust, carpet and other stuff. And truly zero rust.

And just like that one (is that the one you were asking about Pete?) there is NOT ONE CORNER OF THE BRONCO THAT DOESN'T NEED RESTORING!
In this crazy world someone thinks this Bronco is worth $10k just as it sits because "it's original" (which it isn't anymore) but in this condition, it literally has to be dipped in a vat of Green-Killer to get rid of the mold, mildew, lichen, and shrubbery that has taken hold.

In a normal (albeit overpriced) world, this is a $3000 Bronco at most.
In the current fever-pitched market, it's a $5000 Bronco because someone who's not really getting it will jump all over it thinking that the next $40,000 they put into restoring it is going to make it somehow a $60,000 Bronco. Which it likely won't...
But then again, with the right buyers it could.... Which is why there always seems to be someone willing to jump in full force on a pile.

So in spite of it being a Ranger (which can only add so much value in and of itself) it better be almost brand new everywhere you can't see and have less than 4000 miles on it before it was parked.
And even then it's still just a $3000 Bronco.

Dented fenders.
Tweaked rear corner
Mucho potential rust until you see pics from under everything.
Mucho potential rust on every exposed surface everywhere else.
PO-modified wiring.
Missing tire carrier (probably due to the tweaked rear corner)
Rusty exhaust
Cheap universal fender flares. Luckily this means that the stock fenders aren't as mutliated as they could have been, so new flares can likely be fitted with little issue. And the dented part of the front fender can go away.
Chrome trim likely salvageable. Chrome rear light bezels missing, but nice black ones in their place.
Some or all of the headliner MIA.
Etcetera stuff too...
Engine?

So just as it sits, with no labor added, the price for parts probably tops $20k right now.

Consider that when pricing it out and see if it's worth it to you. If you do your own work, then the total cost is way less.
If you have it done professionally, expect to pay a minimum of $60,000 bucks in today's restoration market. Notice too, that I said "minimum" in there as well. That way you won't be too shocked if and when it keeps going up.

Hence my current estimate of $3000 and my recommendation to offer less up front.
Unfortunately though, as I said before, you might be bidding alongside others that are just salivating at such a glorious find.%)
Up to you how you deal with that scenario.

Good luck!
And welcome too Pete. Hope it works out for you. A '74 Ranger is actually a nice desirable model. But you could spend less on one already on the road when all is said and done. So how that works for you is if your budget allows a big up front purchase price, or you have to start at the low end and build it yourself.

Paul

Hi Paul, I was referencing the one in pics 1-11 and why the seats, carpeting and dash were not green. Of course they might have been swapped out at some point. I was trying to help the newbie out by posting some pics. Along with the reference of 456 gear ratio, power brakes in a 74 makes me wonder about what else is swapped in. Maybe will get some more pics of the engine bay and VIN info to further inform the newbie. Thanks again, Slim.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's the problem with asking what it's worth; you're going to get a ton of individuals telling you what they would pay or about one they got for $300 in 1983. You're not going to get market value. Do research of similar sold Broncos not similar asking price Broncos and you'll have you answer. It's more than $3k but with just those pictures it's hard to tell how much.

The good news for you is if you offered $3k to someone asking $12k chances are your negotiations are over.

slim811

Contributor
Any Help with decoding VIN will be greatly
87e55de4ae6099fd5eb9da4331916e6b.png
db9762c489e2498e8a7a7500da38c702.png
appreciated. Newbie's Pete prior classic work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradsp8

There's a lot of funk on that bronco. You're going to have to strip it down to bare bones and toss all the molded and mildewed interior. And who knows how many rats have chewed through the electrical system. Based on the few pics above my guess is that the floor pans are toast. You're probably looking at all new seals, bushings, tires, shocks, brakes, belts, hoses, interior, top and more. But there is a lot of potential there if you have time and money to sink into it.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I think it is a Sport with decals added. It doesn't have Ranger upholstery, stainless vent windows, or trim around the door windows. Don't think the windshield has trim either. I have seen Sports without stainless vent windows and trim but never a Ranger. Also, it's hard to tell thru the grime but the hood decal does not look stock.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can agree now about the stripes. My mind had stuck on the first pic with the checked Ranger stripe in the rear, but obviously that was a completely different Bronco.

I'm not convinced the hood decal isn't just a result of what took the rest of the paint off too, but at this point it's hard to tell.
For the seats, the cloth seats and door panels are notorious for wearing out pretty quickly. Even in dry climates the panels warp, but this looks to be a much more moist environment to say the least! The seats and card could easily have been swapped out for what was available back in the day.
And the carpet? Well, it could have been changed too, but I've seen Green carpet fade to similar shades too! Looking under the driver's seat might tell the tale, but likely as not someone replaced the carpet at some point with tan.
Note that even this Ranger (if it is one) does not have the color coordinated dash pad either. But this has been proven to be an inconsistent thing at best. I've seen Rangers with different color dash pads from what was expected many times.

Be interesting to hear it's full story for sure.

Paul

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Good point about the dashpad. A Ranger would also have a body color dash. I don't see any signs of that, even where the paint is chipped on the inside of the glovebox door.