• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w Build - What top end parts to use?

BruiserOutdoors

Hello Bronco Brothers,

I am in need of some advice from some experienced bronco folks.

I'm looking to build a 351w for my bronco and need some help picking out a good combination of top end parts to install.

What:

- stock, new never bored 351w (stock crank, pistons, bore, etc...)
- looking for 300-400hp and 350-400 ft-tq
- 9.1-9.5 compression
- I want a hydraulic roller cam setup

I'm looking for detailed part details such as cams(brand, model, lift, duration), heads, springs, pushrods, rockers, intake, carb, etc...

Not an unlimited budget, I've seen some of the edlebrock top end kits but trying to stay below the $3500 price tag of the top end kits

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
What if found with some of those kits like edelbrock they're geared toward higher rpm stuff. Also if you go with aftermarket heads it can limit what headers you can run leaving you with bc's or bronco hut and theyre a good chunk more $$. On both mine I just had em built with an rv cam for low end and kept the stock heads. In the 72 they did some extra work on the heads and went roller rockers. I'm even rethinking the rockers next time. The taller valve covers make it real tight on power brakes or hydroboost.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Well BruiserOutdoors, if it were my motor, and weren't stroking it, I'd take advantage of the 351W's heavy mains and build it for torque.

Aftermarket heads with smaller 180cc runners, 1.94" intake valves, and 1.60" exhaust valves.
I'd use a cam that has a performance ceiling of 4500-5000 RPM.
A dual plane intake with a 500 CFM 4 barrel carb.
Mid length or long tube headers.

The 351W crank is way different than the 289/302/5.0. The personality doesn't come from the length of stroke as much as the centrifugal weight of the 3" crank.
It's like adding a heavier flywheel. You know, "weight in motion."

Oh, and I wouldn't be afraid of a flat tappet cam in it. With a build like this, you won't need so much valve spring pressure.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had pretty much exactly what you want. Built it 20 years ago. But the parts are still around.

Trickflow heads. Basic version.
I had the Edelbrock Performer intake that was ported, today you just get the Performer RPM. Don't worry about the RPM name, it is just the airflow to match the heads.
Cam, go small. I was just running one of the clones that matched the Performer specs. Summit house brand. A stock mustang 5.0 HO cam would be a good choice. With good heads you don't need a big cam to make power. The small cam keeps it drivable, the good heads will allow the RPM. I would idle about 700, was usable anywhere between 1000 to 6000 RPM.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With which 351W block are you starting? Flat tappet or roller cam?

I have a reasonably mild 351W in my EB that started life in a 1984 F250 if I'm not mistaken. It has a mild cam, Performer intake, long tube headers, 670 Holley T/A and is a blast to drive, not that I'd turn down more torque if I could get it. i may have a 351W stroker derivative in my future, but EFI and serpentine belt upgrade first.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some GT40 1996 explorer heads are a good option

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191106-203406_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191106-203406_Gallery.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 81

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Bruiseroutdoors-

Do you already have the short block internals??? All stock internals? If so, which ones?

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

Deal fell through and I missed out on a stock 351w, f4te crate from ford motorsports.

Now I'm back to square one. Probably have to rebuild my current worn out 351w which will require a bore and all new bottom end parts too...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X2 what broncobowsher said.

Order a 393 stroker block for less than you can "usually" build one.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
If you are rebuilding then get a 393 crank, recondition the stock rods and get yourself a set of 5.0 pistons. Lots of info out there on it, totally worth it.

I've got a 5.8 with Trick Flow heads, RPM Air Gap and a Comp 518-8 cam and it makes around 4-450HP with plenty of low end grunt and screamed up to 6K RPM with ease.

I've got another engine with GT40's and Performance Prod intakes on it that needs a rebuild and will get the 393 treatment with just a crank and used Explorer pistons.