• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w Build - stroker or non stroker?

seanwanlass

Hi All,

I currently have a 351w that was rebuilt to stock specs about 15 years ago and has never been run. Life happened and it sat in a warehouse. I'm not sure what they did to the block and heads when it was rebuilt . It probably has stock pistons no over bore, probably wasn't decked . I have a few questions:

1) How much torque/hp can I get out of a non-stroked 351 if built right (heads, cam,etc.) ? I'm looking for numbers north of 400 hp/torque.

2) What's involved with stroking to a .393 and what will the numbers look like? (seems to be cost effective).

3) And then there's the 408 , if I went this route I would probably just get the BP 408 and not mess with all the machine shop costs, etc.

I plan on running 35's with an AX15 and SEFI. Thanks in advance!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
With the right top end you can get that with a stock 351 bottom end.
With stock heads you won't make those numbers with any of your bottom end choices.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey MAV, how’s it going?
Can’t help with getting 400+ out of a 351, but with all that, make sure you have the right gearing for 35s and an overdrive.😁
Ok, now back to the question…

broncobuddha

Poor man's 393. I forget the link now but a guy bought a cheap cast crank (forget the specs) used stock 351 rods and stock 302 pistons to get to 393.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

seanwanlass

Hey MAV, how’s it going?
Can’t help with getting 400+ out of a 351, but with all that, make sure you have the right gearing for 35s and an overdrive.😁
Ok, now back to the question...
Hey Paul! I'm finally back at it! What do you think 4.56's or 4.88's ?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad to hear it! I’ll reserve judgment till you get your power numbers settled in. What’s it running right now?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
It's gotta breathe!! :)

Cubes, heads, cam, exhaust, intake in that order.

Where do you want those numbers? - as this is a big question. Guys quote these magical high HP, 5.0's and that's great if you like cruising up a hill at 5,000 rpm so you're close to your peak torque numbers.

Crank gives ya tons of torque. You will never wish you had less torque in a 4500-5500# Bronco (I don't know your setup) but you won't ever regret torque.

393 is a quench mess unless you're spending coin on excellent heads for a cc that brings your #'s where you need them.

408 is a great combo. Check out some issues that BP is having with pistons and noises in their 408 builds.

OP
OP
S

seanwanlass

It's gotta breathe!! :)

Cubes, heads, cam, exhaust, intake in that order.

Where do you want those numbers? - as this is a big question. Guys quote these magical high HP, 5.0's and that's great if you like cruising up a hill at 5,000 rpm so you're close to your peak torque numbers.

Crank gives ya tons of torque. You will never wish you had less torque in a 4500-5500# Bronco (I don't know your setup) but you won't ever regret torque.

393 is a quench mess unless you're spending coin on excellent heads for a cc that brings your #'s where you need them.

408 is a great combo. Check out some issues that BP is having with pistons and noises in their 408 builds.
Thanks for the info!!! I will be rebuilding my 351w to a 408 stroker ....stay tuned!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is a post I started many years ago. "20 questions for stroker owners". Go search for it. Massive amount of valuable information in it.
One key point, can't post in it until you have driven the engine for a year. That is key. Anyone can be happy there new engine runs, but give it a year to get past the honeymoon and see what it is really like.