• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W EFI install fan/clutch/radiator clearance

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
So on to my next issue. 96 Van 351W using van front dress, pulleys, etc.

Noticed today the van water pump, fan/clutch combo is about 3 inches too long for the stock radiator location. As the Bronco sits now, I have 11 inches from the 302 head to the radiator and the fan is 2 inches from the radiator. so 9 inches total length.

On the 351W, I have 12 inches from the head to the end of the fan clutch and the fan tip is 11.5 inches. The fan blades have a 3 inch pitch on them and the clutch is THICK.

Is there a fan-fan clutch combo that will work? I can't use the stock flex fan as it's standard rotation and I need reverse. I read a few threads that mentioned the Fan- hayden 3618 Clutch-hayden 2747 but from what I can tell both are standard rotation. Anyone know of a reverse rotation equivalent?

Is electric my only option?

Tim

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I realize you have the motor installed but the best is to use the Explorer front dress. The timing cover withe the water pump, clutch and really good fan leaves 2-3" from the standard radiator. I have the 4 core radiator and still lots of clearance. I have a 351W also. Not the option or answer you probably wanted but I like it. Otherwise an electric might be the best option.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Contact Beerad here at CB.
Remember him?
Real funny.
Hates Duff.
Seriously built....him, his eb, and especially his wife....
Remember those photos of her?.....geees she is very Purdy....
Anyway...
He has a Napa part number for a Jaguar fan and clutch.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I realize you have the motor installed but the best is to use the Explorer front dress. The timing cover withe the water pump, clutch and really good fan leaves 2-3" from the standard radiator. I have the 4 core radiator and still lots of clearance. I have a 351W also. Not the option or answer you probably wanted but I like it. Otherwise an electric might be the best option.

Yea....this is true....the Explorers front dress is in my future too.....