• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 explorer. Distributorless?...

cscotted

Contributor
DISTRIBUTORLESS EXPLORER RUNS!!!!!!!!

I am new to the bronco world. Just picked up a 74 sport that was in pieces......

So i decided i needed EFI and pulled a 98 explorer 5.0 with GT40p heads Complete with every darn thing attached. Including ALL. The harness and then some. Scored it for 200.00 bucks. Long block.. Took six hours to get it out of junkyard though

Question for the experts and those who maybe have done it before,

Is anyone running the DIS. For ignition ( coil packs) .??? Or does everyone swap. To a distributor?.

Curious to hear whats out there and what i can learn from you all

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Easiest way is to use a mustang style harness, distributor and computer. Explorer stuff is not nearly as user friendly.

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Thanks...I'm aware of that route. But i would kinda like to know if anyone has successfully done it. DIS. Ign. I read somewhere that all you have to do is reprogram the computer. Maybe i will look more for that thread..

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Yes, Lars has done it. I've talked to him about it, and it took him over 200 hours to build his wiring harness for it. It's a lot of work for very little gain. Much much easier to just get the Mustang stuff and install a distributor in place of the cam sensor.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another local friend has his up and running as well. I forget if he decided to do it at about the same time Lars did his, or if he had the benefit of checking the other one out first.
Either way though, like they said, it was a lot of electrical work and strife-building with the wife while he had the harness spread out on the dinner table!

But, it runs like a top and I have his old engine going into mine, so I can't complain about the amount of time it took him from my standpoint, that's fur sure. ;D

I'm still wondering why I haven't read about anyone using the aftermarket distributorless distributor in theirs yet. Looks like a good setup.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The basic parts list is the coils, an EDIS-8 module from an early (EEC-IV) 4.6, crank and cam sensors. Wire the whole thing up. Then get a computer that can handle the EDIS and turn it on. the computer part can be tricky from what I have researched. It isn't so much the box code (A9L, etc.) but the hardware inside that has to be right. 2 domputers that are programmed the same but built different dates may or may not have the firmware in the computer to control the EDIS.

I looked into doing it when I did the V8 Ranger. I had everything except the EDIS-8. Determined it was better to just run a distributor.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
The basic parts list is the coils, an EDIS-8 module from an early (EEC-IV) 4.6, crank and cam sensors. Wire the whole thing up. Then get a computer that can handle the EDIS and turn it on. the computer part can be tricky from what I have researched. It isn't so much the box code (A9L, etc.) but the hardware inside that has to be right. 2 domputers that are programmed the same but built different dates may or may not have the firmware in the computer to control the EDIS.

I looked into doing it when I did the V8 Ranger. I had everything except the EDIS-8. Determined it was better to just run a distributor.

For what it's worth, I've had my tweecer (user-programmable chip for those who are unfamiliar) plugged into several A9L computers now, and into my wiring harness. All ran my engine just fine. Despite having never optimized my tune, I continue to get a reliable 16.5 mpg on the highway (3.5" lift, permanently installed hard top, 35" BFG A/T tires, 4.56 final drive, NV4500 transmission through an Atlas transfer case). About 2 mpg better than when I had a distributor.

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Dis

Awesome info guys thanks! Where can i get a tweecer???? I would really like to do the ids. Thing. But if its too wazoo i will probably default to the distributor. I have access to numerous explorers at ridiculously low prices. I just need to figure out the best way to go about this. Im not made of money like most guys but i would really like to be different and learn something new

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I'll play devils advocate here and inject my thoughts.

If you already have the Explorer stuff I'd use it.OBD2 is so much better than the early stuff, especially if you have to diagnose something. 98 will have PATS so it will take a custom tune to turn it off for it to even run. Of course you'd want to disable rear o2's and such at the same time.

Any harness is going to take you a while the first time. I probably had close to 100 hrs in the first one I did. I've got them down to about 20 hrs now. I think they clean up better than most other harnesses myself. The only downside of using the Explorer harness is the PCM location. You're only realistic option in an EB is mounted on the passenger side firewall. Otherwise you will need to lengthen the entire harness. I'd be happy to send you the diagrams via e-mail if you'd like to look them over.

If you want to tune things your self just be aware the learning curve is a little steep.
As far as the Tweecer goes, they are great. However the support for them has pretty much died. The Moates Quarter Horse is pretty much considered to be its replacement. You can buy the Explorer strategies for it but they aren't cheap and don't support data logging except for via OBD2.

However, if your run a Mustang PCM the strategies are free and data logging is supported through the QH. FWIW the few 91-93 Mustang PCM's I've tried to run EDIS on have worked, but I've heard of a few people that were not as lucky with A9Ls and A9Ps. I've never heard of a 94-95 PCM that has supported it though. You know 100% that the Explorer PCM supports it.

I heard a rumor that some newbie that just signed up over here is about to become a vendor and offer mail order flashing. It will be a couple of days, but I suspect he is planning to put together a mass buy on Explorer / Mustang PCM flashing. I'd keep looking for some sort of announcement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Exp

EFI guy, i sent you a PM with my e mail, if you would please send me the diagrams i would appreciate it very much.. I have to run to go to work, but i appreciate everyones input so far......

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes the Explorer OBDII can be done, I have done it, here is the thread I started and need to finish, http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218364 , but you really need the engine, tranny, and under dash harness, then you can have Rick at Amazon tuning, 704 662 0881, flash the computer or you can buy the programmer package from him and do it yourself. I would recommend this because if you want changes you can do it yourself and not have to send it to him. I am getting between 17~18 mpg's consistent on this, its really a good setup.

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
exp

SurferB, i have ALL the harnesses that was under the hood, fuse box etc after the harness enters the cab of the explorer and goes into the 3 junctions and comes back out, is where i cut it.....I left plenty of room to solder wires to whatever i needed.... i had ripped the driver side of dash apart but didnt remove all of the fiberglass ac duct..( B!T#$ )

1.is this going to be a problem?
2. do i need to get the rest of the harness?- I can it isnt an issue
3. If I use my C4 can i just trick the computer and shut that function off?

I really would like to do this and tackle cutting edge( for me) rather than take the easy(ier) way out and slap a distributor in it. but at the end of the day if its unfeasable then it is what it is..

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1.is this going to be a problem?

It would be much easier if you get the harness from under the dash along with the fuse panel, it will be located just inside the drivers door.

2. do i need to get the rest of the harness?- I can it isnt an issue

see above

3. If I use my C4 can i just trick the computer and shut that function off?

Yes this is what I did, you will turn the tranny off when the PCM is flashed.

Here is a pic of the under dash harness, don't let it intimidate you 99% of it will be eliminated

Attachments

• Explorer dash harness.jpg
    Explorer dash harness.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 386

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will be at Super Celeb Fri, will prob drive my 76 which has the OBD II, if you are there you can look at what I have done maybe this will give you some ideas

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Explorer OBDII is great, but like mentioned, you need to know much more than what we can help with here. Therefore, stay with an old school dizzy if you want our help. OR, if you do go that route, come back and be the site expert on OBD stuff!

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Exp

Its already started...it may take me a while but im going the OBD II route...no distrubutor for me...at least not yet...i feel like i have to at least give this a chance ...after all it has been done by others..i have all the time in the world. And it sounds like i may need it.. Hopefully i can learn something along the way and be able to help out later..

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
That's the spirit! You'll learn plenty along the way, and I think you'll be happier.
You get those diagrams?

When they say 90% of the harness won't be used, they're right. If you're ok with drilling a hole near the center of the firewall to run the harness into the cab you won't need nearly as much harness as you think.

Here is a pic of one before completion, relays and fuse box were mounted in the cab. This was for a Jeep running a C6.

1-1.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Scott here is the wiring schematic I was telling you about on the phone, I will get with you and send it to you in PDF. This is all I used and had no probs.

Attachments

• DSC00623.jpg
    DSC00623.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC00630.jpg
    DSC00630.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC00629.jpg
    DSC00629.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00628.jpg
    DSC00628.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00627.jpg
    DSC00627.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC00626.jpg
    DSC00626.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC00625.jpg
    DSC00625.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00624.jpg
    DSC00624.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC00631.jpg
    DSC00631.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00632.jpg
    DSC00632.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
ex

awesome, thanks surfer b. I also have some other diagrams as well from EFI guy, and this will help me to compare the two for differences if any..

I sent you my e mail address right?