• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice for Front Disk Brakes

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
Hey All, I have decided to put front disk brakes on my 1973 stock Bronco Ranger. I read the threads here all the time, and it looks like Wild Horses is a favorite place to buy them. WH has an expensive option for 15" Wilwood brakes. I have those on another vehicle I own and was wondering if you think the extra money for the Wilwood brakes is worth it. I intend to drive this vehicle from Illinois to Florida and back if that makes a difference. Me and a buddy have rebuilt or replaced nearly every system on this vehicle. It is a rust free California Bronco which had almost every original part on it when I bought it about 18 months ago with 43k miles on it. It even had the original spare tire and belts on it! Anyway, I read a lot of the threads here and you guys blow me away with your knowledge. It's really impressive. Here is a picture of it and the previous owner gave me some magazines where this vehicle was featured. Thanks very much and please let me know what you think about the brake upgrade. Craig

Attachments

• 20171013_1535188.jpg
    20171013_1535188.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 69

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Wilwood isn't the right choice for stock. Go on eBay and get a disk brake kit from Horsepower Sales. It is all off the shelf parts.

Wilwood is small sizes is for high dollar builds that have to look like they have all the fancy parts. The brakes actually have less capacity (small disks) and cost more. But if you are going for the big brake kits, the ones that require larger wheels, then they are a good choice. You can get more brake.

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
I have the Wilwood kit you are looking at on my 1973 stock truck, like it and would do it again. Only negative of the kit in my opinion is the need to run a small spacer (see Wilwood instructions) in the front. The kit is easy bolt on and does not require grinding of knuckle. The kit can be found cheaper, I paid $900 (with a 10% off coupon) from Jegs with free shipping and no tax.

I did buy the power brake kit with Wilwood master cylinder from Wild Horses and also bought the Wilwood combo/prop valve with mount that is off the master.

Did I pay more for the Wilwood kit I assembled than any of the other kits, yes. But simplicity and cleanliness of install was worth it to me.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 110

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
I have the basic disk kit from WH and I love it. I agree that you would not want to grind on the knuckle of such a pristine EB (coincidentally, that is my same year, package, and looks to be the same color combo!). I do absolutely love the upgrade, however, if I went to power brakes, I would spend the extra money on the MOAB Wilwood system from WH. The valve is fully adjustable and is highly recommended over the standard proportioning valve upgrade.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You have a beautiful Bronco worth what ever you pay to put good brakes on it. It will make it so much more fun to drive especially dodging old people down in Florida. Clean up all the old parts you take off, bag them and box them up in case you want to ever sell that stock truck later you will have them.

That truck brings back some memories when 40 + years ago when I bought my Bronco it was stock like that with 10,000 miles on it and less than 5 days later I cut out the wheel wells and added fiberglass flairs. Lots of good memories all these years later. I hope you get to make all those great memories with your Bronco.

OP
OP
cannunz546

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Thanks, Rustytruck. I have an old timer that is a mechanic and worked on these every day, back in the day. For almost everything, we rebuilt the original parts. It was a bear but fun to do. I did redo the dealer installed A/C and radiator with new parts but I kept everything just in case. Same with the interior. I went in a different direction with my first Bronco. Here's a picture. My son loves this one (he was 10 when we built it and is now 25). I taught him how to drive with this Bronco, and he has never driven a car with an auto transmission since.

Attachments

• 1973Bronco073.jpg
    1973Bronco073.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 3003.jpeg
    3003.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 50

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Judging from the very nice original condition your Bronco is, I would say go with a stock disc brake set up. The bling of the wil woods , in my opinion, would detract from how nice your rig is.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Wilwood isn't the right choice for stock. Go on eBay and get a disk brake kit from Horsepower Sales. It is all off the shelf parts.

Wilwood is small sizes is for high dollar builds that have to look like they have all the fancy parts. The brakes actually have less capacity (small disks) and cost more. But if you are going for the big brake kits, the ones that require larger wheels, then they are a good choice. You can get more brake.
I would go this route as well
I have the basic disk kit from WH and I love it. I agree that you would not want to grind on the knuckle
after they have been ground, very minimal no one would even notice.
if you decide to go the stock style set up, you will need to change out the knuckles

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The knuckle clearancing is so minimal it is a non factor. Nobody will ever notice or care if a tiny little clearance was done to the knuckles, if it ever became a concourse restoration. And don't go arguing that it might be one of those 3 perfect broncos that ever exist in the world, those are in so far out of sight it isn't comparible.

Ford knuckle out brakes also work, but even though they sound easier, they are harder. There are changes to the steering that are often overlooked when people say to just get them. So the linkage doesn't fit, the geometery is off. Not a big deal when dealing with a modified rig. But trying to keep things pretty much stock, you are now going into the modified route. Snowball effect.

OP
OP
cannunz546

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Thanks again, you guys. Your input is really helpful. This vehicle is not going to be a daily driver, but it is going to be driven. From everyone's input, I see both sides of the equation. I now just need to make a decision. That's why I asked because you guys know more about the vehicles than anyone else. It's really amazing. I'll let everyone know what I end up doing. I am also putting a roll bar in it (I have one in my Green Bronco) given all of the recent posts re safety. Have a good weekend! It's still cold here in northern Illinois.

OP
OP
cannunz546

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Thanks!

Hey All, I ended up going with the Horsepower Sales front disc brakes. The only upgrade I bought was the powder coated plates. We had a nice weekend here in Chicago so I was able to install them and drive around a bit. What a difference. Thanks for all of your advice. Here is a picture of the install mid-stage. Craig

Attachments

• 20180303_110956.jpg
    20180303_110956.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 82