• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice on shock towers needed

Lando375

So I installed some Duff's shock towers and welded them on. I also desided to used their bolt on kit to bold them on just in case. The backing plate that came with the bolt on kit were a little too big so I made my own. The plan was to have them bolted and welded. Now I'm thinking about welding up the holes in the bracket and frame and just sticking with 100% welded on.

I'd like to hear from the brain trust here on what you would do.

Option #1- keep the plates and bolt it on too.

Option #2- keep the plates but weld them to the frame then bolt it all together.

Option #3- Ditch all the bolts and plates then weld all the bolt holes up.

I will never wheel the bronco other that some dirt back roads.

Here are some pictures

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I would just weld them up with no bolts. Maybe add one gusset to the top but probably not needed.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
those things tear off with part of the frame attached. repaired a few already. bronco gets used.
331321181_888389999030940_6441646053620304952_n.jpg

Last edited:

Contributor
I’d gusset them onto the top of the frame and weld everything

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The fasteners shouldn't see any load unless the welds fail, so I would gusset the shock towers to the top of the frame and call it a day. Like Mad pointed out, the most likely failure would be to rip the whole frame section out complete with the shock tower, so a few bolts one way or the other won't make a difference when they're bolted to the frame. Make sure your bump stops are functional and that you're not bottoming out on the shocks and it shouldn't ever be an issue with the way you described it will be driven. Hard hits off road, jumping, etc, tends to be what causes shock mounts to fail.