• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shock Advice - Rancho RS9000XL, Bilstein 5100 or Bilstein 7100?

Which shocks to get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
I have not driven it yet, have not finished the bodywork. I plan on using it on the beach on the outer banks
Jim your Bronco looks Killer with that shock set-up! but looks are just looks if it doesn't work very well. So the ride with the two shocks on each corner may be to stiff , but you don't know that yet ? I hope it works out for You ! looks like You have spent some Big money on your baby. It seems that most of us using our broncos for OFF and ON Road are only using one shock on each corner with good results .

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Where can I get the best deal on bilstein 7100's

Do you get them with or without the remote res?

Last edited:

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
Check out ( RACESHOCKS.COM) I talked to Lee, he was very helpfull, and they use to give a 10% discount if you mentioned the classicbroncos site. They have four 12" non resv. 7100's for $95.00 each listed in their special section. Many others on here have used them, and I have never heard any complaints. I got the my four front shocks off e-bay for $75.00 each, and bought the rears from RACESHOCKS.
Jim

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
"Jim your Bronco looks Killer with that shock set-up! but looks are just looks if it doesn't work very well. So the ride with the two shocks on each corner may be to stiff , but you don't know that yet ? I hope it works out for You ! looks like You have spent some Big money on your baby. It seems that most of us using our broncos for OFF and ON Road are only using one shock on each corner with good results ."

true I have not driven the bronco with this set-up, but I have owned this bronco for 18 years and had old school dual shocks from james duff on it before this rebuild. I liked the way it rode then, and hope for even better results now. With the lighter valving in the shocks and progressive rate springs, I don't think it will be too stiff, but only time will tell.
Jim

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Rancho is offering a free shock wireless controller with the purchase of four shocks, but the order has to be made no later than December 31, 2010.

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I would go with any other others besides the Ranchos, properly installed shocks (valving and length) should need to have a dial to adjust them. If they are set up for the rig, they will work correctly in all situations.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
I would go with any other others besides the Ranchos, properly installed shocks (valving and length) should need to have a dial to adjust them. If they are set up for the rig, they will work correctly in all situations.

If you meant should not need,,,,,i agree! And don't forget to consider your spring rate. The best shocks in the world won't make rock hard springs ride any better. And what works well at light use can change during heavy use when the suspension is getting cycled hard and fast with big heavy tires and the shocks and their oil heats up and thins out. But let's face it, a lot of rigs are built with potential well beyond what they will ever see with limit straps and bump stops on top of shocks springs and tires that will never be tested to their extremes........which IMHO is far better than something cobbled together because it is inexspensive and looks cool but in the end does not function well.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I dont know about that we can put our bronco's in so many different situations that a non adjustable shock just wont do it all. So they do have there benefits, but I do agree if you have a good quality shock that is valved correctly your bronco it should be very close to what you need for most situations. the age old problem is getting one valved correctly for your particular setup.

Oatmeal

Another shock to consider is the Pro Comp MX-6. It's an adjustable high pressure monotube shock (sort of like an adjustable Bilstein) I have them on my XJ and they adjust from totally plush to corner carving firm.......excellent shock for the money (around $90 each)--------Hans

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
If you meant should not need,,,,,i agree! And don't forget to consider your spring rate. The best shocks in the world won't make rock hard springs ride any better. And what works well at light use can change during heavy use when the suspension is getting cycled hard and fast with big heavy tires and the shocks and their oil heats up and thins out. But let's face it, a lot of rigs are built with potential well beyond what they will ever see with limit straps and bump stops on top of shocks springs and tires that will never be tested to their extremes........which IMHO is far better than something cobbled together because it is inexspensive and looks cool but in the end does not function well.

yes, thats what i meant :D Thanks.

So, to all those running Ranchos, (and I used to) you get out and crawl under the rig everytime things change and dial em in to make them work for that situation? I had em, and never messed with them, it was too much hassle, and in the end, it didnt help much.

A properly valved shock will outperform an adjustable one. Thats all Im saying, for the cost difference if looking at simple shocks I would run Bilstein 5150s over a rancho every time, and if you want a true tuned shock look at any of the other options mentioned :D

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I have ran the 9000s for about 10 years... no rust on them... still work very well and yes I do stick my hand under there and adjust them when I run through the wash board mountain roads... takes about 10 seconds...

I dont know much about shocks but these have worked great for me. My EB was my daily driver for over 7 years then it became an offroad toy and now it is more of an all purpose rig that handles great both on and off the road.

I would by another set tomorrow.

Greg

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I change my 9000s when I lock in the hubs and then change them back when I unlock them. Yeah it's really tough takes an extra 5 secs.