• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best power steering box?

palm428

Loc.
Northern colorado
I am going to put power steering on my bronco what do you guys think is the best? Is their any new vehicles that a box will work or stick with the stock box? [/SIZE]

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
Go with the 78-79 Ford 4x4 box. You will have to change out the guts to get the rotation right, but it is the only way to fly. Check out BC Broncos tech section on their website. They will describe it in full detail. Good luck!

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
more ps boxes

"Go with the 78-79 Ford 4x4 box. You will have to change out the guts to get the rotation right, but it is the only way to fly. Check out BC Broncos tech section on their website. They will describe it in full detail. Good luck!"

Good post-this combo has been used around here since the late 90's-We still don't know where it started. I saw one in '98 on an eb in Ga.. More BEEFY than the stock eb box. The donor for the above mentioned "guts" is an '80-'83 2wd F100/150 box. You need to exchange the internal gear to make the steering turn correctly for the eb box location. If you are into harder trail running now would be a good time for you to beef up your frame when you change boxes. MANY eb frames have cracked over the years pulling the larger tires with even stock eb ps. boxes.
HTH,
KB
NC
ebsss

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
I just did the 4x4 - 4x2 conversion and it was simple and cheap. I don't like scrounging the u-pull it yards so just ordered up one of each of the boxes and paid $200 for both. ;D

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
Tgure said:
I just did the 4x4 - 4x2 conversion and it was simple and cheap. I don't like scrounging the u-pull it yards so just ordered up one of each of the boxes and paid $200 for both. ;D

WHERE!!!!!

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
I went Here and did a parts request. I had a few emails within an hour and picked the closest ones to me and drove down to pick them up. I know they ship but you may have something similar to this in your state you could check out. ;D

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Yup! The 4x4x2 box is only way to go. Simple, cheap and very stong. If you have the resources to fab up some reinforcement plates and sleeves, do it! If not, BC sells a nice ready to use kit. You won't be sorry that you did it.

I personally like to go treasure hunting in the you pull it yards, so I went to a couple in my local area and found two of the 4x4 boxes out of 79 Broncos. The 4x2 boxes can be found almost anywhere. They came in a lot of Ford trucks, vans and cars. Very easy to find in the yards. Good luck and post some pics as you go. ;)

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
Tgure said:
I went Here and did a parts request. I had a few emails within an hour and picked the closest ones to me and drove down to pick them up. I know they ship but you may have something similar to this in your state you could check out. ;D

Very cool.... thank you :D

Brewbro21

While we're on the subject I've always wondered what the difference is between the 4X4X2 box and the Rock Crawlere Box from Jeff;s? I puty in the Rock Crawler and couldn't believe how responsive it was, it feels as tight as my iroc and runs a lot cooler too. If anyone knows let me know, I know that the rock crawler is bigger, or at least it was compared to my old PS box.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would buy the B.C Broncos kit and chuck's parts period! This is why:
I have called all the early Bronco vendors, in fact I live 5 minutes from wild horses. Not one Owner would give me the time of day, Yes Jim you looked at me like I wasn't good enough to talk to and I knew you when you were in the back alley in 1985!. I have e-mailed and called Chuck at B.C and he has ALWAYS returned my e-mails and phone calls in a timely manner. He was honest, informative and hospitable. He never cut me off short because of other calls. He has kept his business small and high quality. He may not be super rich like the other vendors (in a $ standpoint), but he is rich in class...something money cannot buy!! Cheers to Chuck and Family. You will always have my support. BI