• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best steering linkage?

dave p

I replaced my dana 30 with a 44 so I need to change my steering linkage. It will mostly be a pavement queen with some dirt roads. also going to run 33's maybe 35's. I was thinking toms Heim steering but the rod going from the steering box goes all the way to the steering knuckle I see that duffs connects part way down the tie rod like factory does is that a better set?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I replaced my dana 30 with a 44 so I need to change my steering linkage. It will mostly be a pavement queen with some dirt roads. also going to run 33's maybe 35's. I was thinking toms Heim steering but the rod going from the steering box goes all the way to the steering knuckle I see that duffs connects part way down the tie rod like factory does is that a better set?
I think the Duff's setup is better from a geometry standpoint.

Todd Z.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Maybe add what suspension lift your running?.
But for your intended use I'd say stock style TRE's with an adjustable drag link 2 way adjustable is what {'d use and did for a long time on 33 and multibe Rubicon trips without issues.

But depending on lift ... TRO or TRU?? drop brackets &pitman? or track bar riser?? heims not always the best...seen plenty that just don't last or become noisy on customers vehicles with lack of maintenance...

I do like the duffs set up and going that route on my current rebuild/redo..

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Duff crossover is very easy and works great. I have put three of these in and could not be happier. It just works!

OP
OP
D

dave p

Thanks and I have a 2 1/2 inch lift and 1 inch body lift.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
exactly what I have

Attachments

• duff xover.jpg
    duff xover.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 61

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Beware of the echo chamber...here's another opinion.

Spherical rod ends (heims) are not suitable for tie rod applications. They do not have the service life, or fail safe features of a typical ball joint style tie rod end. I have never seen one last over 100,000 miles, but I have seen them wear out in under 10,000 miles. They are not suitable for high misalignment applications, and are usually undersized for the application, they hate to be submerged.

I've seen a bunch of them on the trail, and they are certainly pretty. But for me...the GM 1 ton TRE is the clear winner. Service parts available at any auto parts store, Amazon, Target, and maybe 7-Eleven. This quickly devolves into the Sony Betamax vs VHS discussion, which I won't re-hash here. But sometimes the "best" is not better. (and yeah, you can use EMT conduit for a tie rod if you want...)

Attachments

• IMG_7329.JPG
    IMG_7329.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7330.JPG
    IMG_7330.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 38

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
the GM 1 ton TRE is the clear winner. Service parts available at any auto parts store, Amazon, Target, and maybe 7-Eleven.

One of my favorite stories on these parts is from when we were racing in Baja about 6-7 years ago and rolled our truck and screwed up the steering linkage. We were in the middle of nowhere but were able to get some PNs of the GM stuff via our satellite tracker from a friend in the states. We stopped in El Rosario (small town) on a Sunday night and found a combination auto parts/boat parts store that I just KNEW wouldn't have the parts we needed but we stopped anyway. Chased some chickens out of the yard and nearly tripped over a few old outboards on the way to the front door of this place. We walked inside and gave the guy working there (probably came over from his house, don't remember) a piece of paper with the PNs on it. He went in the back to his 3 shelves of parts and amazingly, came back with the parts. Saved our butts big time.

Just have to have a reamer handy (we had one in our chase rig, amazingly) to ream the steering stabilizer hole for the drag link attach.

Todd Z.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Beware of the echo chamber...here's another opinion.

Spherical rod ends (heims) are not suitable for tie rod applications. They do not have the service life, or fail safe features of a typical ball joint style tie rod end. I have never seen one last over 100,000 miles, but I have seen them wear out in under 10,000 miles. They are not suitable for high misalignment applications, and are usually undersized for the application, they hate to be submerged.

I've seen a bunch of them on the trail, and they are certainly pretty. But for me...the GM 1 ton TRE is the clear winner. Service parts available at any auto parts store, Amazon, Target, and maybe 7-Eleven. This quickly devolves into the Sony Betamax vs VHS discussion, which I won't re-hash here. But sometimes the "best" is not better. (and yeah, you can use EMT conduit for a tie rod if you want...)
I agree with this but also need to look at the current usage of these vehicles today versus when we were kids. If this is an every day abused driver that will see that kind of abuse then that is spot on. If these are weekenders that wont see another 20000 in the rest of their life like most are today, it is a mute point. But you are correct.