• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is the best steering box upgrade

MonsterBIlly

For all-purpose driving.. i don't much care for the factory box in my 75. I do run power steering

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
This is way too vague of a question. What is it about the 75 box you don't like. Do you know what steering box it is? If it's a stock PS box, it would be six turn from the factory. If it's original and never rebuilt, it could be worn out.

A rebuild and conversion to a quicker ratio could be a night and day different.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Rebuild and go to 3 turn like most new vehicles.
Any links or part numbers for a new worm, bearings etc (or a kit that takes a 6 turn and makes it a 3/4 turn?).

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mark1911

I ended up purchasing the Tom's Bronco Parts power steering gear. I love it!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I really like how my '77 EB box drives, but am upgrading to a 4x4x2 box to run 37's with a hydraulic ram-assist for the beefier sector shaft. I have a '77 F150 as well and have always liked how that truck drove, so I agree with Mad that you can't really go wrong with either box, though both are getting harder to find.

I have yet to drive any of the aftermarket boxes currently on the market, so I can't comment on those.

ENDLIFE

I think I may have had every box except for the 3 turn box.
Stock (Non-hydraulic)- Ok with slightly larger than stock tires, but a wrestling match with a strong small person on the trail.
Stock 6 turn (hydraulic)- I hated this steering box so much for daily driving that I didn't give the chance for trail driving.
4X4X2 converted box (hydraulic)- I LOVE THIS STEERING BOX! LOVE FRIGGING LOVE, but I have lost my return to center steering since I have lifted my vehicle.
I wish I could have tried the 3 turn box, but rarity and cost took me to the final box my Bronco will ever have.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think I may have had every box except for the 3 turn box.
Stock (Non-hydraulic)- Ok with slightly larger than stock tires, but a wrestling match with a strong small person on the trail.
Stock 6 turn (hydraulic)- I hated this steering box so much for daily driving that I didn't give the chance for trail driving.
4X4X2 converted box (hydraulic)- I LOVE THIS STEERING BOX! LOVE FRIGGING LOVE, but I have lost my return to center steering since I have lifted my vehicle.
I wish I could have tried the 3 turn box, but rarity and cost took me to the final box my Bronco will ever have.

If you adjust the drag link you can recenter the 4x4x2 box. Will most likely need to adjust trak bar too to get it all right.

ENDLIFE

If you adjust the drag link you can recenter the 4x4x2 box. Will most likely need to adjust trak bar too to get it all right.

Thanks for the info! Fortunately, I did that part well, but it’s my laziness getting it an alignment. Once it’s done getting the new body panels in; to the alignment center it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
First adjust trak bar to center front end under the frame. Then do alignment. Next adjust drag link to center box. Then center the steering wheel to finish off.

OP
OP
MonsterBIlly

MonsterBIlly

I currently have the 6 turn factory power box. O do not like the 6 turns. I am basically just wanting a better ratio.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I currently have the 6 turn factory power box. O do not like the 6 turns. I am basically just wanting a better ratio.

Send it to one of the many rebuilders (West Texas, Red Top, Blue Top, Borgeson, Lee's, Straight Line, Pro Steering Systems, etc.) and have them change the ratio.