• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blower Motor Upgrade

Vincen

I am planning to upgrade my original blower motor in my '70. I am planning to use a motor and wheel from a '94 F150. Can I use my factory switch and controls or should I grab the switch also.

Paco

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Make sure you clean out the air intake. Mine was so packed full of leaves, sticks and crap that I'm surprised any air made it through at all. I rebuilt my heater box with a new core, blower motor and all but I wonder if just cleaning this out would have been enough as opposed to replacing the blower motor?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You really should be able to use your stock switch. But if there was ever a reason to use a relay in a circuit, that might be the one.
A relay (if you're familiar with them) is just a heavier-duty remote switch that takes all the load off of the old dash switch and allows (in most cases) a more direct path from the battery power to the heater motor.

It's probably not mandatory, since the old switch has done it's thing for years and the new motor may not use that much more power anyway. But I like relays.

Paul

OP
OP
Vincen

Vincen

Thanks DirtDonk and Paco. I'll be getting into this in the next couple weeks. The dash is coming out for powder coating and the beginnings of an AAW wiring kit.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool. You should really like having all new wiring. At least you will AFTER the work is done!
One thing to make sure of though, if you haven't been told ad-nauseum already, is to add grounding straps to the dash.
They're funky enough when they're bare, but with all the new powder coating on there, you will have to be sure to make your own grounding scheme. Whether it's just an extra screw with a spot ground clean of coating, or welding a stud to it and making sure that the coater does not coat over it, having a good ground between the dash and the rest of the body will make your life much easier.

The dash, instrument cluster, windshield frame and radiator core support are all common areas of failed connection to the ground system. Rust, dirt, separation anxiety and just plain old age wreak havoc on metal connections.

Have fun.

Paul

OP
OP
Vincen

Vincen

I had numerous electrical issues with my 69 & 76. I wanted to head this off so I purchased a Taylor braided ground kit that will be installed at the same time as the wiring. I can't make the same mistakes I did with my 69 back in 2000. Thanks again.

frankentruck70

Loc.
Cheyenne, wy.
You might try upgrading with an f250 motor and cage from 69-72. the cage is larger and it made a big difference in my 74 bronco. Also it is a direct replcement, wiring and boltholes

frankentruck70

Loc.
Cheyenne, wy.
yes, probably 67-72, the squirrel cage is bigger, but still fits in the housing. Orange wire plugs into factory bronco harness, and one black ground. Made a big difference in my little icebox.