• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP! Chevy Heater Blower Motor Upgrade question

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
I know this mod has been done a thousand times but I have not seen anything in my search so here is my question.

I am in the middle of my heater box makeover and trying to put it back together right now.

Here is my question:

Do you have to cut the "mushroom" out of the back of the box for the larger chevy blower fan to clear so it won't hit/rub?

Thanks in advance.

JDJ

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question. I think I've heard that some have had to do that, but from what I remember, most don't have to do any mod other than opening up the front hole.
I'll be interested to hear what the others say, but that's what I remember anyway.

I know you said you didn't come up with anything in a search, but did you find any of the (super-long) threads about that swap specifically? There are a few with pictures and multiple posts about the success of the users.

And did you check in the Tech-Article section for something on the subject? I'm not sure, but there might be one in the Tech Article department.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
JDJ

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
Paul, I am going through some of the long threads right now. I was hoping that someone would chime in right and give me a quick answer.....cause I've got my box on my tailgate trying to assemble....looks like rain too. Just trying to get it wrapped up before it/if it rains. Thanks for your input and info

JDJ

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I didn't have to cut anything. I didn't even cut the box to put the larger fan in. I took the box apart, put the fan inside, then attached the motor when it was put back together. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
JDJ

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
I already have the new chevy motor and the new squirrel cage fan. I want to use both. The new blower fan is about 1" larger in diameter and is deeper than the orginal (not sure by how much)

The larger fan will push more air than the stock fan. The motor being faster AND the fan being larger is the whole point of modification.

JDJ

Nightmare Bronc

I used Chevy fan and motor. I cut hole larger and don't remember cutting anything else. Seems like I had depth issues and got a different blower motor and it went right in. Don't remember the part # though.

OP
OP
JDJ

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
For some reason, I am thinking that Advance auto sold me the wrong cage fan. I found a part number in an old thread, called them they crossed referenced the part number I found on here, and there is one number difference (on both motor and cage fan) between the one that I have vs. what was cross referenced.

Fan I have is 35588 vs. 35587(cross ref)
cage fan I have is 35601 vs 35602 (cross ref)

They have the fan in stock but they have to order the cage and it will be here tomorrow. I will take what I have, my heater box, and figure out what the heck the differences are.

The ones they gave me was for a 78/79 chevy truck.....who knows. Hopefully I will have the right stuff to finish this upgrade tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.

JDJ

HOT RAM

Loc.
Shenandoah Valley,VA
To stay "all Ford" I used a bigger motor/squirrel cage from a 92 F-250 and did NOT have to trim the bell-mouth inlet.Only had to trim the opening a bit larger to get the bigger squirrel cage in.

OP
OP
JDJ

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
Hot Ram,

Thanks for the info. I will also look into that tomorrow when I get to the parts store. I like the idea of staying with all ford parts.

JDJ

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I too would like to have the correct no. for the chevy items .. My motor is M847 I don't remember the squirrel cage no. But I too felt like my cage was too deep .. Making it drag on the back of the heater box .. Making mine blow fuzes.

70 sport WA

X2 on cut the opening a bit larger to accept the Chevy cage, that's all. I'm in the camp that believes the bigger cage is better than the stock unit.

berg bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
franklin NC
i just got done doing this upgrade. my cage that came with the chevy motor was a 1/2 inch longer than the stock so i cut the mushroom part of the steel and it seems to work fine! i guess i could have used the stock cage but the biger the better right! i actually had to turn the heater off today as i was driving around town!

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
What you probably got was the squirrel cage for th Heavy Duty heater. It is deeper than the standard Chevy heater cage. You have to specify this at Advanced Auto. Same thing happened to me.

OP
OP
JDJ

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
What you probably got was the squirrel cage for th Heavy Duty heater. It is deeper than the standard Chevy heater cage. You have to specify this at Advanced Auto. Same thing happened to me.

10-4. I will find out tomorrow if what was sold to me originally was for the heavy duty. I will post up the info after I find out.

Thanks for all the response guys.

JDJ

Bronco Biff

Contributor
I used the '78 chevy heavy duty heat motor and squirell cage combo, Trimmed hole only, used one existing mounting screw hole, redrilled the others. Blows well no other issues. I cut down an old busted up box and added bronco heat to my '32 ford. I think I'll try the '92 ford mod on this one to see how it works. I like that idea as my '93 C350 blows very well and might work as a good common swap part between all 3 as I plan on keeping them for MANY more years

Attachments

• 100_1087.jpg
    100_1087.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_1090.jpg
    100_1090.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 116

Tomdee

Loc.
Staten Island
Heater upgrade

I upgraded to Four Seasons Part #35602 Blower Wheel
Four Seasons Part #35587 Blower Motor, I was able to adjust the depth of the fan with the fan's set screw. Only had to open the existing opening.
Good Luck!!
Tom D.

hotrodtim68

Contributor
Four Seasons Parts?

Where can the Four Seasons parts be puchased? Thanks TIM;)