• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Butt or lap weld floor pans?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Most I've seen are lap welded - I've done all mine that way. I think it gives a stronger weld and you're not looking for perfect finished seam like you are when you butt weld in a section of body panel.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Most I've seen are lap welded - I've done all mine that way. I think it gives a stronger weld and you're not looking for perfect finished seam like you are when you butt weld in a section of body panel.

^^^^^ Yes this. Afterwards you can spread some seam sealer to finish it off. Good Luck. ;)

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Thanks!
Actually, this is about my Ranchero, but it's parked next to the Bronco.;)
I was just concerned about moisture getting between the laps and rusting.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stock panels are lap joints with spot welds.
Do take precautions for water getting in and rusting.

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
I just did this and lap welded them just make sure you don't have too much of an overlap. An inch or so is good enough. I usd seam sealer on both the top side and bottom side of the joints to try to help seal it up.

Good luck.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Great tips on protecting against rust with weld through primer and then seam sealer after you are done. I use Cleco pins to align and keep things positioned. When done I just weld the tiny (1/8") holes closed almost like a spot weld.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Great tips on protecting against rust with weld through primer and then seam sealer after you are done. I use Cleco pins to align and keep things positioned. When done I just weld the tiny (1/8") holes closed almost like a spot weld.

If you don't have the Cleco pins self tapping #8 zip screws work as well. Yup, just weld up the small holes.