• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can someone detail proper aftermarket roof bow support installation

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I ordered two new roof bows from Tom's because mine are not adequately supporting the roof despite being in good shape and the roof is ridiculously flimsy. Even the supply houses cannot explain how to properly put these in. Please help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even though you’ve already bought the new parts, you might post a picture of how your old ones look. If they are indeed in good shape, and simply separated from the roof skin, there might be a way to make the old ones work as designed. Lots of members here have done that over the years.
On the other side of that, the replacement bows are so new that very few people have actually done the work.
Some have though, and hopefully they will see your question and pop in with a good explanation.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
The originals are in good shape and I will leave them and use 3m expanding panel filler with thin plastic between the support/expanding sealer so they can still move but I really want to improve the strength of this tin can with more braces.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good on you. That's why I bought extra braces for mine.
My originals are fine, but I always wanted more roof strength. Originally back in the '70's I wanted it so I could stand on the roof and spectate better and take pictures better at races and other events. Or even sleep on top when camping. But I never wanted it bad enough to make some of my own.
Now that they are available separately (I kept asking for core support triangle braces and roof bows from the big body parts places, so maybe others did as well and they listened.

Now if I can just get 'round to it... :( :rolleyes:

Paul

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Seems like they should be able to make them a two piece design that the end can go into the channel and lift them til they meet in the middle then spot weld them together there where it is really easy to get to.

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Good on you. That's why I bought extra braces for mine.
My originals are fine, but I always wanted more roof strength. Originally back in the '70's I wanted it so I could stand on the roof and spectate better and take pictures better at races and other events. Or even sleep on top when camping. But I never wanted it bad enough to make some of my own.
Now that they are available separately (I kept asking for core support triangle braces and roof bows from the big body parts places, so maybe others did as well and they listened.

Now if I can just get 'round to it... :( :rolleyes:

Paul
How are you planning on welding in the little braces that go into the sides on top? Do I need to drill a new hole in the roof from the bottom and weld from below or try to blindly spot it over the curve from above?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haven’t got that far yet myself. But several members here have done it already over the past year or two, so hopefully they’ll have some insight.
I actually didn’t even think I would be welding it, as much as perhaps riveting and gluing.
But never got down to the nitty-gritty.

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I think I have a new plan. I am going to use either 3M panel bond or that super strong 3M panel bonding tape used for trim panels to locate the brackets on the sides. Then spot weld the support to that through a few little holes drilled in the support. Thinking of the tape since the panel bond requires more surface prep.

Will need to trim the ends of the supports just to get them into the groove above the drip rail. They do not need to be as long as then came if they are going to be fixed to the side brackets anyway.

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
One done and it went perfectly. 3m Panel bonding on the bracket bottom then positioned the roof bow in place and there is enough gap in the corner to clamp it with vice-grips and rivet without the rivets touching the sheet metal in the corner. Worked great.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you took any pics during the process, would you please post them up?

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Process has been perfected and I can install one of these in about 15 minutes. Here are the steps.

1. Trim the corners opposite each other on both ends so you can get these into the channels on the sides of the roof.
2. Clean and prep the inner channel of the roof. As any good bronco owner should, I liberally used rust inhibitor everywhere and then cleaned it all really well.
3. Place the end support brackets in place. I secured them with 3M VHB but panel bond or other material would have been fine. I chose the VHB because body shops use it for exterior parts (spoilers and such) that go through car washes and stay in place. These parts are sung in the channel so I do not think they are going anywhere. The VHB is soft too. I was afraid that IF panel and or epoxy cracked it could make a new rattle or squeak that would drive me crazy. Yeah, I know, wrong car to love. If I have my hands on a part it will be quiet.
4. Shimmy the support into place and center it on the roof. I am using the factory felt between my supports and the roof then filling with automotive expanding foam. I wanted the contact point to be soft and quiet in case there ever was movement. Afraid liquid nails or other glue may fail and then make noise. Felt with always be soft contact so no metal on metal The foam will fill the support and push up on the felt. Nice and quiet.
5. Use vice grip in the corner where there is plenty of room so secure the support to the bracket.
6. I placed a scrap piece of metal between the black and the top for protection then drilled my holes for rivets.
7. Rivet in place then remove all of the tape. They are perfectly snug without putting the roof under any undue tension to distort anything.
8. As anyone who's had a number of Broncos, apply liberal amounts of rust inhibitor of your choice.

I put in two supports as my factory ones were still good but will add one more up front now that I know how easy it is.

IMG_1433.jpeg

IMG_1434.jpeg
IMG_1436.jpeg
IMG_1437.jpeg
IMG_1438.jpeg
IMG_1439.jpeg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fantastic. Thanks for the write up.
What are the numbers on the expanding foam and the felt? And did you just Amazon them, or get them locally?