• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carburetor options for 77 w/ 302

JollyRogers

Started restoring my 77 Bronco a few weeks ago and need to replace the carburetor. What are the best options these days for a daily driver use? Leaning more towards fuel economy than horsepower.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have a thread going in the tech section you might want ask in there

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Your question is different than the one asked in the other thread. The '77 2150 is as good as any, especially if your doing a restoration. Since there is no new '77 302 or 1.08" venturi 2150s available, a rebuild is the only option. So called re-manufactured carburetors are frauds. These large scale re-builders rarely send something that's even close to correct. They remove the ID tag and throw it away, to keep the buyer from knowing they're not getting what they payed for.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Started restoring my 77 Bronco a few weeks ago and need to replace the carburetor. What are the best options these days for a daily driver use? Leaning more towards fuel economy than horsepower.

You say you're restoring it? You'll need the stock carb.

If you mean you're doing a resto-mod, it opens your options a lot.
You can use a four barrel Ford, Edelbrock, Holley, or Quadrajet. Each of those has options as well. Owners typically hate one and have an allegiance to another.%)

Personally, I was raised with carbs and have worked with them all. Sure, each has its own personality, but with a bit of research and tuning, it can give better mileage than the factory two barrel. (provided you stay out of the secondaries;))

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In my opinion the best all around carb is the one that came on it, the Motorcraft 2150. Super easy to rebuild and work great off road where many other types of carbs fail.

elan

Loc.
s
what justafordguy wrote.

I always remind myself....."you ain't smarter than a team of Ford engineers", stick to what they designed

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
I put a 500 two barrel Holley on mine lost a little on the bottom, but the mid and top end did not lose a thing ,not bad on the mileage either , I replaced a worn out motorcraft .i held on to the old one ,shaft bore is very worn out I know they can be re bushed but for now I like the holley

Lawndart

Loc.
If you go 4bbl, here is my experience.
I put a new 600cfm Holley on mine. Ran OK, some bogging. I was able to over come some by swapping in a different accelerator pump cam.
On a whim I bought a new 390cfm 4bbl from Holley. Whoa! What a difference. My fairly stock setup really likes the smaller 4bbl. No stumble and the day-to-day drivability is wonderful.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I drove for about a week while watching a tachometer. Only rarely did the engine exceed 3000 RPM, even when accelerating. Full throttle high RPM operation is only rarely used, even if the driver is a lead foot. The OE 2150 works far better in every day driving than the Holley 4412 that's designed solely for racing. 2100-2150s also earned a reputation among Jeep owners as excellent off road carbs. The 4412 has no automatic choke version. In fact some 4412s have no choke at all. The float bowls have center hung floats that were made for cornering on tracks. They are no good off road. Even Holley will tell you that. In fact Holley made an off road kit to improve it's capabilities. It included side hung float bowls, and spring loaded needle and seats. No surprise, the Truck Avengers all use side hung bowls.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
I am sold on my Holley ,even with the ce enter hung floats ,I do lots of offroading mid size rocks Climbing ,for a stock 289 it is really close to the carb I pulled off ,jetting was the cure .