• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Choice btw 351 w/C6 or EFI 302 w/AOD 4-speed

RgdL

Loc.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Looks like I have some choices to make for my '74 Bronco build-up. Back in the winter I acquired a fuel-injected 302 with the 4-speed auto out of a '89 F-150. Then last week I bought my neighbor's 1980 camperized Econoline van for the 351 and C6.

I already know that both engines are tall for the EB's hood, but I'm willing to add a scoop if required. I like the 302 because it's fuel-injected, but apparently making this fuel system work in the old Bronco might be a nightmare. I also like the 4-speed auto for the highway-friendly overdrive gear.

But......I'm really leaning towards the 351 for it's torque and simplicity of swapping it in. And the C6 is supposed to be a strong transmission right?

Both trannys are 2wd application. How easy/difficult will it be to convert to 4wd with either the C6 or AOD ? And which transfercase would I need to source out to make this work?

BlueEyeDevil

Contributor
what little I know

C6 is longer than the C4, so the cross member will have to be moved. To get a D20 to hook to a C6 you need a $600 stub shaft. Others can help some more.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
how about the 351 with the AOD, I like that best.

bax

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Personally I wouldn't use either tranny. I would get a 4WD version of either one and that way it is a direct bolt up to the NP205 transfer case. If your bolting it to the bulletproof NP205 might as well choose the C6 which is also pretty much bulletproof. If you use either one of the current trannies they will require buying an adapter (Which by itself will cost more than getting a 4WD version of either one) to convert them. As to the motor choice I would use the 351W and drop EFI on it. I would also grab the timing cover forward off the EFI motor for the serpentine setup. The fuel system for the EFI is not complicated (Although I see a lot of people trying to make it complicated). It requires running one return line and putting a high pressure electric fuel pump in. If you still have the 89 F150 it even has the fuel pump you would need. That really is the easy part. The hardest part is figuring out the wiring but it isn't anything new and there is a ton of documentation available to work with to do it. Plus there are dozens and probably hundreds or thousands of us that have already done it to ask for help. (I know there are at least a few dozen members here to help)

Going back to the tranny for a moment I am just passing on what I would do. Going that route is the most cost effective way to get a virtually bulletproof setup. My concerns are more geared towards having everything stand up to serious abuse. If yours are more toward have a street rig that only sees mild trail use then your going to want to run something else with better street gearing. (AOD bolted to a Dana 20 for instance)

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Since you have all this stuff I would go with 351W and AOD get a adapter for the D20 and you will have a good rig. Good luck with your's.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No, the AOD i a mechanicaly shifted transmission. Just set the TV cable correctly (it is NOT a kickdown cable). Only wires are nuetral start and back up light switch.

I wrote a nice comentary but for some reason it didn't get posted.

OP
OP
R

RgdL

Loc.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I wrote a nice comentary but for some reason it didn't get posted.
I'd love to see that. Do you have it saved somewhere where you could email it to me?

Just found out that the AOD out of the '89 F-150 is actually for a 4wd application. Sorry for the confusion but I bought this engine, tranny and computer last winter sight unseen from a friend for $200. He had planned on using it for his Toyota 4runner project truck but later changed his mind. It's still sitting on his shop floor and I still have never seen it. Then last week I got to talking to my neighbor about his van. Bought it for $500 and it only has around 80,000 miles on the clock.

So I can afford to buy an adapter to mate the AOD to the Bronco's Dana 20. Or I could just source out a transfercase from ~'89 F-150, but it wouldn't be as strong (aluminum housing and chain-drive).

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
RgdL said:
I'd love to see that. Do you have it saved somewhere where you could email it to me?

Just found out that the AOD out of the '89 F-150 is actually for a 4wd application. Sorry for the confusion but I bought this engine, tranny and computer last winter sight unseen from a friend for $200. He had planned on using it for his Toyota 4runner project truck but later changed his mind. It's still sitting on his shop floor and I still have never seen it. Then last week I got to talking to my neighbor about his van. Bought it for $500 and it only has around 80,000 miles on the clock.

So I can afford to buy an adapter to mate the AOD to the Bronco's Dana 20. Or I could just source out a transfercase from ~'89 F-150, but it wouldn't be as strong (aluminum housing and chain-drive).
That will bolt up to the NP205 from a 70's full size. The NP205 is a legendary bulletproof case. (Much stronger than the Dana 20)

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I'll ad my $.02, "There is no replacement for displacement." The 302 is a good engine no doubt. But you can't match the seat of the pants torque of a 351. As SaddleUp stated before it would probably be cheaper to find a 4x4 tranny rather than swapping a 2wd over. I picked up another small block 4wd C6 from the junkyard the other week for less than $100. Granted I'm using it as a core and plan on rebuilding it. But at the same time if I can find a 4R70W(AOD-E) for cheap I may experiment with that route also.

OP
OP
R

RgdL

Loc.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That will bolt up to the NP205 from a 70's full size. The NP205 is a legendary bulletproof case. (Much stronger than the Dana 20)

SaddleUp, are you saying the the 4wd-application AOD out of the '89 F-150 will bolt directly to an NP205? That would be the ideal solution.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
That is what he is saying. If you have the AOD with the round 6 bolt pattern you are golden. It is also from an 89 it will have the internal improvements from the factory. Now find a 205 and your set. You will need to fab a trans mount and a Tcase mount. You will also need to make driveshafts for it. Are you done yet?

Bax

OP
OP
R

RgdL

Loc.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
bax said:
That is what he is saying. If you have the AOD with the round 6 bolt pattern you are golden. It is also from an 89 it will have the internal improvements from the factory. Now find a 205 and your set. You will need to fab a trans mount and a Tcase mount. You will also need to make driveshafts for it. Are you done yet?

Bax
Perfecccttt........;D

Is anyone ever done yet???:p

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Look up my post called "Making some progress" you can see some pictures of the AOD 205 combo (body off). If you want.
Bax

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
RgdL said:
SaddleUp, are you saying the the 4wd-application AOD out of the '89 F-150 will bolt directly to an NP205? That would be the ideal solution.
As Bax said that is correct. The Dana 20 in the Early Bronco is about as oddball of a pattern as it gets. It not only isn't the same as the versions of the Dana 20 for other manufacturers but it also doesn't match any other Ford T-Case made. It was one of the last ones like this though. Since then almost all of the transfer cases went to a universal 6 bolt pattern that not only matches most of the Ford vehicles (My 97 Explorer even uses the same pattern) but it also is shared by other manufacturers as well. (Many Chevy and Dodge rigs use the same pattern) Just some of the cases using the same pattern include the NP203, NP208, NP205, 2 or 3 Borg Warner cases, and even the All Wheel Drive cases found in the V8 Explorers. (I've actually considered swapping a NP205 in mine to replace the AWD case so it has a low range and part time 4WD)

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I have been told you can not swap a Borg Warner 1345/1356 case (mid 90's t-case) in to the EB because of the size. Is this true? I have both and would like to have the lower low range I think the 1356 is more than strong enough. Current plans are to go with the 205 but...

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
SpareParts said:
I have been told you can not swap a Borg Warner 1345/1356 case (mid 90's t-case) in to the EB because of the size. Is this true? I have both and would like to have the lower low range I think the 1356 is more than strong enough. Current plans are to go with the 205 but...
Out of all of the cases I mentioned in my post above that use the standard pattern the NP 205 is the only one that will fit between the frame rails in an EB. All of the rest are too big.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Are you planning to use those motors in current condition or are you rebuilding. If you are rebuilding I think the heads off that 5.0 would be desirable on the 351 some one else may have better info on that.