• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

clicking noise and binding when in 4x4

Sparkplug

Loc.
San Jose
ok so heres a new one for me. I have a clicking noise from somewhere under the vehicle ONLY when it is in 4x4. does not matter high or low range. I also noticed that it is almost impossable to shift out of low 4x4 with the front hubs enguaged and it feels like there is something holding the truck back almost like the drivetrain is binding up. If i have the front hubs disenguaged the clicking isnt there and I can shift the transfer case again. I have checked the hubs over and over and they all seem to be operating properly. I also locked the front hubs and left it in 2x4 and there was no clicking or binding. I am thinking I might be looking at going into the transfer case and look for maby a thrust washer thats worn or a seized bering but these transfer cases dont exactly jump in and out of these things either and are heavy as hell, so before I get all excited....has anyone ever experienced this before?

My rig info is 1971 EB
302 2bbl carb
3 speed transmission,column shift
dana 44 front axle,warn premimum front hubs
dana 20 t shift transfer case
31" tires

basically shes almost all stock

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
you better check the see if you have matched gears in the front and rear! sounds like that is your issue...stay off pavement while going into 4x4 or you can break something!

OP
OP
S

Sparkplug

Loc.
San Jose
how do I know if the gears are matched? should I have the same gear ratios front to rear? I know this vehicle has made this noise for years as this vehicle used to belong to dad and I know he has chased this noise since at least 1990.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
yes they have to me matched...normal stock ratio was 3.50. its best to count the ring gear teeth and pinion teeth...divide ring gear by pinion(ie. ring 41/10=4.10 ratio) i know you can check by rotating the tire one revolution if it has a locker, with open carrier...i think you might lift one tire up and rotate twice and count how many turns the pinion yoke spins.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
is the clicking present all the time or just 4x4?

i wasnt sure if you meant binding as in "when you try to drive in 4x4"

OP
OP
S

Sparkplug

Loc.
San Jose
binding as in when i try to drive......like i can move no problem,but when i let off the gas it feels like the brakes are on. the clicking is only present in 4x4 with hubs enguaged, if the hubs are disenguaged and the t case is in 4x4...no clicking, t case in 4x4 front hubs disenguaged,no clicking or binding only clicks and binds in 4x4 with everything locked in

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Clicking is probably the hub not fully enguaging. The drag could also be the inner spindle bearing bound up. I would also pull the drive shafts and check the center bearing in the CV joints on both the front and rear.

If the wheel bearings are past due for service a tear down all the way to removing the spindles is in order.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Hmmm...interesting. I have a really tight LS in my front axles and when I am using 4-wheel drive...it clicks and pops. Do you know if you have a traction device in the diff? If it is broken...that MAY be a problem.

But I also agree that if you have mis-matched gear ratios you could be getting the symptoms you are seeing. As someone else said, if that is the case..don;t drive it too much because you will break something.

OP
OP
S

Sparkplug

Loc.
San Jose
brand new wheel berings,spindles,spindle berings no traction device in the front diff. I have checked and replaced the u joints already too.

maverickconner

If you are in loose gravel or dirt does it seem to do OK or is it still popping? I think Chuck is pointing you in the right direction. Did this just start?

OP
OP
S

Sparkplug

Loc.
San Jose
no,this has been an ongoing problem for a long time now. I think dad just gave up on finding it and now I have it but its driving me nutz. All brand new wheel berings,spindles,u joints and the clicking noise was there before all of this was replaced. Unfortunatly I have not had a chance to pull the transfer case due to being so busy during the holidays. If I dont find an issue in the transfer case I will be tearing apart the front diff next.

MarkH@Wildhorse

Contributor
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'd for sure pull the diff cover up front and then maybe the rear center section and make sure the gears match front to back.
Also while that front diff cover is off, Look at the ring and pinion/spider/axle gears for any cracks or missing teeth.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The stock 3.54/3.50 gears are notorious for "winding up" on hard surfaces. I don't think I've ever been able to just shift from 4 high or low back into 2 high without backing up a bit even when in mudd. The hubs jam too and backing up will release them.

As to the "clicking"? Is the clicking once per rotation of the wheels or D-shaft? Does it click faster the faster you go? Does it click with clutch pushed in and just rolling?

A click has always been a U-joint on my rig. What lift you running? How's the angle to the front pumpkin? Have you pulled the D-shaft and checked the knuckle/CV near the t-case? That knuckle has some springs and a nylon part in it that could be bad. It also has several grease fittings that could not clearenced.

Tim

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
check the slip (spline joint) in the front drive shaft. I had a 65 3/4 ton ford that would snap and pop in 4 wheel drive. Turned out to be the slip joint in the front drive shaft.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Check gear ratios first. Take to level parking lot or quiet street. Engine off, trans neutral,t-case in neutral,front hubs locked. Chalk mark on tire and on yoke of diff. Roll bronco by hand and count revolutions of yoke vs 1 revolution of tire. Do this for front and rear. Both should be the same. 3 1/2 revs of yoke = 3.50 gears, 4+ a little bit = 4.11, 4 1/2=4.56 and so on.

If the gears are the same then start at front drive shaft then t-case. You might be able to hear where the noise is from while doing this also if you put the t-case in 4x4.