• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP! Clicking noise in drive line

blue bronco66

Loc.
ocean county n.j.
This sound started a while ago. It does it on acceleration. It gradually increased and became louder over time. I have no doors on, so its easy to stick my head out while driving, and it sounds to me like its coming from the rear. So i yanked the diff. Everything looked fine. I took the locker out and apart and inspected it. It too was fine. I put new axle bearings in and put new breaks on the back. Drove it and the sound was still there and i noticed that i can feel the clicking in the t-case shifter. Next i changed my drive shaft to my spare which is my old stock shaft.(only good to 20mph), but the noise seemed to stop. After inspecting my aftermarket drive shaft from high angle driveline, i noticed the splines were real sloppy side to side because all the plastic dip coating was gone. So i had a bud cut the splines off my stock shaft and weld it on my newer drive shaft because those splines fit snug. Also i rebuilt the cv with new u-joints. Put it back together today and the sound is still there. Also it doesn't make the noise in 4wd but probably because its taking some load off the back rear. Sound familiar to anyone?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, the plastic coated splines are great, unless you have a lot of torque through the splines. Under high loads the plastic gets squeezed out and makes the splines sloppy. Old school no plastic coating takes more torque better. Under lighter loads the plastic will last longer then non-coated. You would need a much larger diameter spline shaft in order for a plastic coated splines to live under the higher demands that most of use put Bronco driveshafts through.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Check the U-bolts on the rear end also. could be loose allowing the axle to rotate further than it should.

OP
OP
blue bronco66

blue bronco66

Loc.
ocean county n.j.
Pulled the cover on the t-case today and everything looks normal inside. Thanks, rev. ill crank them down more. You may be right. Thanks, Hozr Ive been running the same lift for 5 years now and i did change all the u-joints