• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Control knobs and the poor man's lathe

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Here are a couple photos of the "billet" knobs I made to replace the stockers.

Granted, I bought a set of cheap J--P ones and modified them. I bought them originally because hey were advertised as Billet, but when I got them they were cheap cast/knurled aluminum from China. I paid $19 for a set of 6... but I've seen em on Ebay for as much as $56 for the set (which I warn... they are not even close to being worth that much)

Process: Lock the set screw of the knobs on a rod and put it in a drill chuck. Clamp the drill handle in a vise and auto-lock the trigger of the drill. I then went after the overseas cheapies with files, various grits of wet/dry sandpaper and then polished them to a billet shine.

I cut a channel in the outer ring with a hack saw and stretched an O-ring over the top of it.

The cheap camera doesn't do them justice... and although the photograph on Ebay looks good... they were just crap... this is one way to refurbish the crappy knobs into something that looks nice, has somewhat of the original flair and are custom.

Enjoy

Attachments

• newknob.jpg
    newknob.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 199
  • originalknob.JPG
    originalknob.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

backpain

Bronco Guru
I'm impressed. The only thing better would be me drinking a beer while watching someone make me a set and install them! Where's that guy?

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I only need 4 (custom dash)... and I have 10 more in my box of goodies... Throw me some suds and I might make a few ;)

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
my pleasure... I have a couple products that I'm making in the next couple months that should be of interest to fellow Early Bronco folks...

one keeps the honest... honest and the other keeps things from poking you in the leg. That's the only hints I'll let out for now

Build a better mouse trap... ;)