• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

couple lift questions

panteramatt

Ill be taking the tub off of my wifes 77 to coat the frame and reapir the tub so I know it will be a good time for a body and suspension lift. I plan on going with a 2.5" suspension and 1" body.

1. Will a 1" body be enough for clearance for a 4r70w swap and is there a certain one I should look at?

2. Most of the suspension lifts I see only lift the rear 1". Well, the bronco has a rake towards the rear so if anything I would need the rear a little higher than the front.

3. Please recomend some lifts and shocks for it. I want a really good ride as its mainly a street driven truck.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I can't answer #1, but I'll give the other two a shot.

#2) Your rear is probably sagging from worn springs. Once a lift is installed, it should sit level or slightly up in the rear. If you have a heavy rear bumper or hard top, use the 11 pack rear springs. This is usually an option with the kits.

#3) BCB, WH, Toms and Duff all have good kits. My only suggestion here is to switch out the shocks in the kit for Bilstein's.

OP
OP
P

panteramatt

Well can someone tell me if I need a 1" bl for clearance issues with a 4r? I would rather skip the headaches of the bl and go with a 3.5" suspension lift if possible.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Well can someone tell me if I need a 1" bl for clearance issues with a 4r? I would rather skip the headaches of the bl and go with a 3.5" suspension lift if possible.

You don't need it, but a 1" body is a good idea for the 4r70w. Most 1" body lifts are really more like 1.5"+. Will be easier to work on stuff also.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
I would go with both the 1" body lift and a 3.5 suspension. It's still easy to get in and out and will look great. Lifts do settle.
The combo will give you the option of running 35s and not just 33s. It won't raise the Center of Gravity by much as most of the weight is in the frame and chassy and not the body.
I have a 3.5 suspension lift. I replaced all of my body bushings with stock height pucks. I wish I had done a 1"body lift.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I have the full 2.5" WH lift and mine sits a bit low in the nose. I'll most likely put 3.5" springs up there to even it out.

May be caused by my lack of hard top.

dirtslinger

Loc.
Torrance
I just finished installing a WH 3.5" lift, the rear is sitting about 1" higher than the front. I'm hoping that it settles a little.