• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote/6R80 Swap

ajonesny

Does anyone know of a coyote/6r80 swap that is up and running? I've seen some builds on here running this combo but there isn't much data on how they are performing.

OP
OP
A

ajonesny

I know, I've seen that. Van is a stud but there just isn't any info after that post. Maybe he'll follow up one of these days.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know, I've seen that. Van is a stud but there just isn't any info after that post. Maybe he'll follow up one of these days.

I just answered your original post- you did not say anything about being familiar with his video. That bronco is being worked on right now with the idea of being completed before Nov. 1- Hopefully he will have more updates as it gets closer to being "done". I know many of us are looking fwd to seeing it done-probably none more than Van!!

OP
OP
A

ajonesny

I'm glad to hear Van's build is getting closer to completion. I would have to say that is one of my favorite builds. The suspension is unreal. Van doesn't seem to be a big social media guy. Anyone know if he has any other coyote/6r80s out there?

Dpearce

I've talked quite a bit with Jason at BC Broncos on this topic as I'm in the middle of a Coyote Luber build. Still issues with the 6r80 - mainly the trans controller computer. We've heard that it's close for about 2 years now.
I'm moving forward with a 4r70w. Jason said that once the 6r80 gets worked out, it would be a pretty straightforward swap with the 4r70w if one was so inclined.

Scotty

Ford announced two Coyote/transmission packages last November, at least I think it was November....

Part #: M-9000-PMCM includes the Coyote with the Tremec (manual) 6 Speed.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9000-PMCM - Approx. $16,000 :eek:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-9000-pmcm - Approx. $15,000

Part #: M-9000-PMCA is supposed to offer the Coyote with the 6R80 and the required controllers. It is not currently available.

A Facebook message from Ford Performance this morning says "Hi Scott, the manual is ready and we are putting the final calibration touches on the automatic version. Looking to have it available for sale by the end of October."

Scotty

15k to 16k. Wow. Why not buy a wrecked one and take everything

I think that's what other successful swaps have done. According to what I've read, the F-150 and Mustang PCM (engine controller) is a large part of an integrated system. The system actively seeks sensor readings from other components (transmission, ABS, security) and then responds, sometime by detuning the engine for safety. Those who have successfully swapped drive trains from wrecks have reprogrammed the PCM to not look for other, now absent components.

My research indicates that the PCM is transmission-specific (but can probably be re-flashed); the computer expecting an automatic but not finding one will detune the engine. The automatic transmission's controller communicates with the PCM to aid in shifting. It seems that Ford was rather secretive in protecting the shift algorithms; this may be why third-party controllers are only now becoming available.

*** this is only what i understand based on my reading/research. I am not an expert on any of this***