• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crazy Horse - Stacey David ‘66 build

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
FYI on the tube. Some youngsters may not be familiar with Crazy Horse.

Attachments

• B421D32D-7CA8-4B54-AFDE-FF3E74667F7C.jpg
    B421D32D-7CA8-4B54-AFDE-FF3E74667F7C.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 216

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Regrettably, there only seems to be part one posted so far...

It is kind of funny at the end they offer you you a copy of the show for $12.95 on VHS. Definitively dating how long ago this was... Still a good watch!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Watched every episode.

Two disappointments with it.

#1) That damn horse on the door, lol.
#2)
And that Stacy never came back to address the fact that the thing kept losing oil pressure on hill climbs. He suspected it was the oversized oil pan he chose. But it had one of those trap door things....but he had to shut it down twice on hill climbs during the last airing of the crazy horse episodes.

.... I think he was starting his Rattle Trap production company back then and walking away from TNN, which may explain why we got no final resolution on that.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I also taped it. I learned a lot from that build.

Eugene

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I thought I heard he sold it to pay for starting his own production studio/company. It's been interesting talking to some of the old timers what worked for the companies. Not sure how he kept as much as he did. He also kept that army truck that was revised a few times over the decade plus it took him to finish it.

Apparently the old producer was a lovable guy and made sure the hosts got there share as he got out of the business. New company kept it together for a few years but everything eventually unraveled. I can date the evolution of those shows back to the late 80s when it really was The Nashville Network.

Had a day with a camera guy that did some of the early motorsports filming for The Nashville Network and got some good stories. He hung around and was filming for Extreme off-road when Ian was running the show. He was still a personal friend of Stacey.

I only met Stacey once, threw him for a loop when I asked about his boat. I have one of the same make.

Saw Crazy Horse once, at SEMA in the Holley booth in 2004

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I heard part of the disagreement was the network wanted to go in the direction of more bolt on crap from sponsors and less cut and fab work much like extreme off road(remember the wd-40 build). Another issue bolting parts on newer rigs from the dealer were getting smashed afterward due to liability and stacy wasnt happy with it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I miss the overly exuberant Stacey David. He certainly made you feel like you too could take a pile of rust dust and turn it into a fantastic machine.
Just get out that sawzall!

He still does that, to perhaps a slightly lesser extent during the half-hour shows.
Depending on what station you get it on, it's either called "Gearz" or "Stacey David's Gearz" which is something I just found out. Again...!
I'd heard both names, but never thought much on it until I kept seeing tons of repeats on the one station I record "Gearz" on, but happened to stumble across another station that shows "Stace David's Gearz" on their network.

It's the same show of course, but I bet you have to watch them both just to be sure you see every episode!
Just like his old haunts, now the Power Block in some circles, are on multiple networks showing different shows and different times, which makes it hard to keep up with the programming!

It's a convoluted mess, so thank goodness for DVR's.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
haha, I remember that

Watched every episode.

Two disappointments with it.

#1) That damn horse on the door, lol.
#2)
And that Stacy never came back to address the fact that the thing kept losing oil pressure on hill climbs. He suspected it was the oversized oil pan he chose. But it had one of those trap door things....but he had to shut it down twice on hill climbs during the last airing of the crazy horse episodes.

.... I think he was starting his Rattle Trap production company back then and walking away from TNN, which may explain why we got no final resolution on that.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I heard part of the disagreement was the network wanted to go in the direction of more bolt on crap from sponsors and less cut and fab work much like extreme off road(remember the wd-40 build). Another issue bolting parts on newer rigs from the dealer were getting smashed afterward due to liability and stacy wasnt happy with it.

That seems to be the direction the shows have taken...
My friend's company was asked to participate in one of the Motortrend shows, all products would be donated and he was asked for a large chunk of change. He balked at the price, they came down some... But it was really expensive advertising when you added up the cost for parts and cash into a 23 minute show that you have no control of how it is edited.

Anyone watch Overhauling last night with the Landcruiser FJ40 build?
Not a fan of the drama at the beginning messing with the Owner... But having owned an FJ it was nice seeing this one get restored.
Speaking of liability, all through the show they referred to roll bar as a grab bar. What was made from additions made to the factory roll bar seemed to be geared to provide support the American flag and not really for occupant protection. Hence "grab bar".

I guess better than what Stacey found at the start of the Crazy horse build...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey! That was you? Very cool. Thanks for bringing that up.

And even though I've looked at some of the old Trucks! episodes, I did not notice that the Crazy Horse build was there.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And by the way NGA, is the new owner of CH a member here?

Paul

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
And by the way NGA, is the new owner of CH a member here?

Paul, I bought it from Stacey and had it for 6-7 years, sold it to a member on here in FL, he later sold it to someone in TX or LA I believe, no one has seen or heard much about it in the past few years?? There was another thread a while back, discussing if it had been painted and I believe someone had a pic and said no paint??%):eek:%)