• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crazy steering

Brian 1975

Loc.
Davis
Help guys, I have a 1975 Bronco with factory power steering and am contemplating going to manual steering. At speeds over 40 mph any slight touch of the steering wheel my Bronco wants to find a ditch.My 14 y/o son was driving it lastnight and my life flashed before my eyes.(6 turns stop to stop)
My Bronco has a 302,auto,manual brakes,James Duff suspesion,30x9.50 BFG All terrain tires. This truck is pretty much stock for now.

I need some advice on how to help keep us on the road.:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You have a 6 turn factory ps box.

You may have some bump steer possibly due to your track bar and drag link not being parallel.

Do you have a drop pitman arm and a track bar drop bracket at frame or riser at at the axle.?

You may not have enough caster. This can be increased with degreed c bushings and eccentrics around your ball joints.

First thing to do is go get an alignment. Demand a read out for caster, camber, toe, ackerman, etc.....
Sometimes alignment guys don't give you much data on caster or camber with a straight axle since there is so little adjustment available, but eb's need as much caster as you can get to feel less darty and more stable, so every degree of caster you can get is important.

OP
OP
B

Brian 1975

Loc.
Davis
It appears to be a factory pitman arm, and no track bar drop bracket. The track bar and drag link look parallel.
I will get an alignment and check on the numbers. Thanks Brian

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Also tire pressures can affect handling. You may have to play with the pressure to see what works best for you. typically you can run the high 20's -low 30's but it depends on the tires.
But I agree get your alignment checked so you will have the numbers and a better idea of what you may need to do.
Broncos are quick steering they take some getting used to.