• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disk brakes worth the cost?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Discs worth the cost? Yes. Worth double the cost? Still yes. Drums have their place, but on my rigs that will be in the rear only.

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
Trust me don't skimp on brakes! I did disk front, didn't look into my porp cave or rear brakes well enough, had a quik stop which caused rear to
Lock up costing me my bronco.... Had to start completely over.... Whatever you do do it well, and test it very very thoroughly....

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1ok0hd
1966,351,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 35's,

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Let's just say they had drum brakes since probably before 1900, there s a reason almost everything is four wheel disk now

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Granted, I think my drums are about wore out but I'm trying to learn the process to convert to disk brakes without costing 1700 for the kit from Tom's bronco's.

Order it from WH, just bought the front disc kit for 720.00.

Jim W.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

So you guys are saying I should put disks on the front even before I go power? What kit do you guys recommend for the best value,function and ease of install?

I should of said I still have a D30 frontend.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
I had drums in front/rear pulled like crazy if you had to get on it. Changed to disc front and they stop the Bronco in a straight line but not quick enough for me. My wife drives this Bronco a lot so this week it's getting the booster kit from Tom's put on so it stops perfect. I hope this fixes it

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I put the WH kit on my early '66 D30 a few years ago and it was a straight up bolt on. I am now putting that kit on a D44 for my frame-off. When I read that it bolts up to either axle it was an easy decision since I had planned on replacing the axle. You do have to get a dual reservoir master cylinder and associated brake lines for it to work properly. The kit I just bought is for my late '66.

After putting the kit on, it felt like I had power brakes compared to the drums, very little pressure on the pedal to stop. I went hunting with my early '66 and was going down a hill that I couldn't stop on:eek: I didn't think it was all that steep but it was more than the drums could handle%)

Jim W.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

My drums function very well. I have 33's and I've never been in a situation that they wouldn't stop me.

I really want a dana 44 infact I just missed a parts bronco that had EVERYTHING I need to finish mine :( It's hard to find bronco parts locally here. Are there any other vehicles that have a D44 that will work on a Bronco?

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
front and rear discs, 33" km2's. my son was moving it and hit the brakes (hes 17 and learnng to drive) and made a 3" deep hole on the dirt with all 4 tires, he was only moving 5 or 10 miles per hour. Hooo yes also stang HB an prop valve.:cool:

I plan to tow a 5x8 trailer with a ton of camping gear up and down trails (baja) and wanted the discs all around from the go!

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

I really want a dana 44 infact I just missed a parts bronco that had EVERYTHING I need to finish mine :( It's hard to find bronco parts locally here. Are there any other vehicles that have a D44 that will work on a Bronco?

Anybody?

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon

Yes and no..... None that match exact.... You can go 78-79 bronco, or 70's- f150's.... They are approx 3 inches wider on either side, so you'll have to either go full width, or have the d44 chopped down to early bronco specs....
There's pluses and minuses to each....
Either way you get disk front....
Full width=added stability.... But needs fender flares.... You can turn lock to lock w 38's and not rub the radius arm...Tires likely to hit trees/rocks etc b4 the body

Downsides.... No longer factory...
Does take some fabrication, but not much....

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4ztzqc
1966,351,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 35's,